Best CSU MFT program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScarletKnight62

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which CSU MFT program is considered the best/most well respected, or are they all seen pretty equally? So far I've looked into CSULA and CSULB.

Any input from someone currently going to one of the CSU programs would also be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I would also like to know what everyone thinks! =)

Hello! I came across this thread because I am looking into MS degree in Counseling, specializing in Marriage and Family Therapy (MFT) in CSUs. I am looking into:

(1) CSU Los Angeles: MFT program, with a possible focus on "School-Based Family Counseling" - their unique feature which seem very interesting.

(2) CSU Northridge: MFT, with a possible "add-on" in College Counseling certificate (so as to qualify for Community College counseling job). CSUN is also listed in Humanistic Psychology website, which draws my attention as I'm interested in Humanistic Psych.

(3) CSU Fullerton: MFT. Its website publishes alumnus' reviews/feedback about the program - seem really positive.

(4) SFSU - MFT, possibly adding a College Counseling concentration too.

All 4 programs above are CACREP-accredited, which is important to me. Does anyone have PERSONAL EXPERIENCE in any of these programs? I am interested to know about faculty commitment, teaching quality, ease in finding internship sites, philosophical orientations, etc...

I would appreciate any comments from you guys as it would help me with my decision! Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have personal experience in any of those programs. But I do know that San Diego State and CSU San Francisco are the "flagship schools" in the CSU system, whereas CSULA and CSU Dominguez are worst regarded. Keep in mind, this is institutional reputation as a whole, not the particular programs per se. The reputation of CSULA in particular is that they will take anyone--one of my friends is a prof there and sent me a video parodying that particular idea...

Still no one has personal encounters or experiences with CSU's MFT or counseling programs??

Come on... your views will be greatly appreciated!

I had the experience of attending CSULB's LMFT program. I highly recommend you attend their informational sessions as with all schools you are serious about. Meet and greet with faculty. See how you feel afterwards, whether or not you connect with the professors and their research, and how you'd fit in overall. Their program has changed tremendously after the passing away of professor Noble, the dean of the department.

I know that CSUF MFT program mostly emphasizes on Carl Roger's Humanistic approach, as well as empathy. Dr. Leah Brew is the dean and has published several amazing counseling textbooks along with her other faculty members. CSUF seems to be probably one of the best schools out of the nation as far as MFT programs goes. I knew a few students who graduated from there, and were very satisfied with what they learned, how prepared they felt. CSUF, also highly emphasizes more on diversity training if that is your niche. CSULB's program is more CBT-oriented.

Depends on the approach you are looking for, and which program you feel is the best match. Speaking from the students from CSUF, their curriculum they felt, was also very well-rounded. Invest wisely.