Best D.O. matches ever

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dorsey DO

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Late night thinking as an incoming D.O. student, and was just wondering what/who are the most prestigious D.O matches ever? I've trolled around Harvard, Penn, etc. and it seems like no D.O's there in any of the fields. There's gotta be a few, that are like, wow, he/she went far and placed amazing as a D.O. Anybody know?

Members don't see this ad.

Exceptional PCOM students have matched at Philly Unis for decades, including UPenn. There are DO Gas Residents at JHU. I know DOs who did GAS at UPenn. JHU and UPenn are both 2 very excellent programs.

Edit. If you Google the Anesthesiology Residencybar U Penn, one of the Chief Residents is a DO, and a couple others in the program. However, ya gotta be a good candidate and meet or exceed the requirements for the program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it depends on what you mean by prestigious. Do you mean prestigious places or into prestigious specialties? I am a PM&R DO, so most that I know are PM&R or PM&R-associated fellowships. For TCOM, I personally know of IR, Pathology, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, and 2 PM&R all at Mayo Clinic; IM at Cleveland Clinic; Neurosurgery at UT San Antonio; PM&R at Harvard; PM&R at Vanderbilt; PM&R at UCLA; 2 PM&R at University of Washington; PM&R and Ophtho at Ohio State... I know of DO's in fellowship in Pain Medicine at Mayo Clinic, Sports Medicine at Harvard, Brain Injury Medicine at Harvard and Mayo Clinic, Pain Medicine at Vanderbilt, etc. Every year there are a handful DO's around the country who match Neurosurgery, ENT, Dermatology, IR, Ophtho (which are some of the more competitive and "prestigious" specialties), but those specialties typically are harder to match into from any school, MD or DO (arguably probably harder from a DO school).

Reactions: 1 users
@ohiosveryown ended up digging deeper on that Upenn gen surg you mentioned. It turns out she did a post-bacc at Penn, so she probably secured a connection during that time which helped for matching. Likewise, I'll be a attending a low tier DO school, and we in a previous year had a Southwestern EM match, and likewise she did research at Southwestern during her pre-med years. I'm sure they worked hard and all, it but seems to be who you know what matters tremendously. As a incoming DO student this fall, I gotta figure out how to make those connects haha.

The best that come to mind for me are ortho at Mayo, Rochester and CT surgery at MUSC. I remember a plastics match at Penn too.

I wouldn’t put too much stock into these kinds of things. People are much more likely to just go where they want to go instead of just matching the absolute most prestigious thing/program they can. Furthermore, despite what sdn would have you believe, most DO students are actually interested in primary care.

Considering that some students use DOs as a red flag about programs the DO match is all about connections. (Like legit had a friend at a state MD school tell me that’s how she thinks about her rank list to my face…)

Also, basically all my community preceptors assume I’m going into FM and are mostly teaching towards how they want referrals. So yeah the bias is still bad but improving and some people break through.

Considering that some students use DOs as a red flag about programs the DO match is all about connections. (Like legit had a friend at a state MD school tell me that’s how she thinks about her rank list to my face…)

Also, basically all my community preceptors assume I’m going into FM and are mostly teaching towards how they want referrals. So yeah the bias is still bad but improving and some people break through.
Your friend considers programs that have DOs as red flags?

Any program that isn’t FM or peds (and I guess now EM) that has a ton of DOs probably has a hard time recruiting applicants. We’re only like 20% of the applicant pool, so having 80% DOs should raise an eyebrow.

It’s no coincidence that the most competitive programs in most fields have few to zero DOs.

Any program that isn’t FM or peds (and I guess now EM) that has a ton of DOs probably has a hard time recruiting applicants. We’re only like 20% of the applicant pool, so having 80% DOs should raise an eyebrow.

It’s no coincidence that the most competitive programs in most fields have few to zero DOs.
Thanks! Dumb question but what would be a green flag ratio in terms of mds to dos?

Yeah they don’t want to rub shoulders with peasants (like me). Their mentality is if you *need to drop that low how good could you possibly be. All state school MD co-residents or bust. Given they’re just one med student but they aren’t even the ****tiest person I know and I’ve heard the same mentality on sub-Is. Like literally had an attending who would ask residents if they were a DO when they made a basic mistake.

Thanks! Dumb question but what would be a green flag ratio in terms of mds to dos?
It isn’t the people that hate on DOs are dumb. Considering we can’t know what the individual people did to get into residency it’s hard to know if that program had a *good match. It’s also a very hard question to answer because specialties vary in how much they care about prestige. FM is way more likely than surgery to not consider how prestigious their hires are.

I don’t think lots of DOs should be a red flag. In my mind it just means a program cares too much about what people think about them.

Probably a roughly equal amount relative to the percentage that apply to the specialty. I.e., if 20% of the applicant pool is DO to a certain field and the program takes 10 residents, about 2 per year on average makes sense, right? But if it’s 7 DOs and 3 IMGs and they’ve only had 1 USMD in the past 5 years, that means there’s something about the program that makes people not want to go there.

While people like to act that it’s a reflection on the training offered, it could easily be something like location. For instance, Case Western and CCF have DOs all through their programs. It’s not because the trainings bad. It’s because it’s location makes it less competitive. So you have to think about it. I matched into a good program. But likely only because the location isn’t very desirable.

Nevertheless, the thoughts about not mingling with peasant DOs is pervasive. I’ve heard of MD students being mocked by their peers for matching a competitive surgical subspecialty because there’s DOs in their class/program.

Probably a roughly equal amount relative to the percentage that apply to the specialty. I.e., if 20% of the applicant pool is DO to a certain field and the program takes 10 residents, about 2 per year on average makes sense, right? But if it’s 7 DOs and 3 IMGs and they’ve only had 1 USMD in the past 5 years, that means there’s something about the program that makes people not want to go there.

While people like to act that it’s a reflection on the training offered, it could easily be something like location. For instance, Case Western and CCF have DOs all through their programs. It’s not because the trainings bad. It’s because it’s location makes it less competitive. So you have to think about it. I matched into a good program. But likely only because the location isn’t very desirable.

Nevertheless, the thoughts about not mingling with peasant DOs is pervasive. I’ve heard of MD students being mocked by their peers for matching a competitive surgical subspecialty because there’s DOs in their class/program.
DO bias is still a thing, although improving. It will continue to improve, albeit slowly, as culture changes. Medicine has no lack of pedigree shaming or bullying. It is not just with DO's as MD's also do it to each other. I have seen it. If someone tells you within 30 seconds of meeting them that they went to xxx School or residency, they are one of them. Fortunately this number is not the majority. I have found that most of the great docs I know with extensive pedigrees don't talk about it at all. Sometimes you just can't take the PreMed out of the Doc.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about the stigma/bias/matching in the world of an internal medicine DO? I'm 99% sure I'll be doing IM, then likely followed by gastroenterology. I know matching as a DO to IM isn't the issue, but more so matching at a prestigious place. The school I'll be attending matches mostly community health centers, but my goal is an academic medical center/hospital like Emory, Duke, etc. but from a preliminary search seems like those programs don't have many D.O's. The only connection I really have is two friends that matched NYU IM track, and I'm sure in 2-3 years when the times comes and I hold my own they can hook me up with a rotation/connection at NYU. Other than that, I'm a clean slate walking into medical school this coming fall.

What about the stigma/bias/matching in the world of an internal medicine DO? I'm 99% sure I'll be doing IM, then likely followed by gastroenterology. I know matching as a DO to IM isn't the issue, but more so matching at a prestigious place. The school I'll be attending matches mostly community health centers, but my goal is an academic medical center/hospital like Emory, Duke, etc. but from a preliminary search seems like those programs don't have many D.O's. The only connection I really have is two friends that matched NYU IM track, and I'm sure in 2-3 years when the times comes and I hold my own they can hook me up with a rotation/connection at NYU. Other than that, I'm a clean slate walking into medical school this coming fall.
You’re right getting into IM shouldn’t be too hard and getting into an academic program is less challenging than other fields but it is still an uphill battle. I’ve seen people do it at mid tier academic centers as DOs. They published, they got good board scores and honestly could have probably matched surgery. But really it comes down to the culture at the program and the bias that they allow in their ranking + luck in how they rank.

Friend connections are great if they become chief but I never bank on them and wouldn’t change signaling anything based off friends. I’ve been burned even when they legit thought they were BFFs with the PD.

Even a faculty connection at times isn’t enough to get you RTM.

We play the game for a reason and I gotta believe some of us will win. Good luck.

You’re right getting into IM shouldn’t be too hard and getting into an academic program is less challenging than other fields but it is still an uphill battle. I’ve seen people do it at mid tier academic centers as DOs. They published, they got good board scores and honestly could have probably matched surgery. But really it comes down to the culture at the program and the bias that they allow in their ranking + luck in how they rank.

Friend connections are great if they become chief but I never bank on them and wouldn’t change signaling anything based off friends. I’ve been burned even when they legit thought they were BFFs with the PD.

Even a faculty connection at times isn’t enough to get you RTM.

We play the game for a reason and I gotta believe some of us will win. Good luck.
So what are considered legit connections then, are we talking strictly at the chief resident and PD level? I would think my two bff's at NYU IM would work; what more can you ask for lol. Also, how do you meet such connections if I'm stuck at a medical school location? I've heard conferences, but why would these higher-ups talk to a low-tier DO student like myself. Plus, aren't there hundreds of other med. students trying to get onto their radar; why would they remember speficially me? I hate to be dismal about it, but I'm just curious since I just don't know as a matriculating pre-med.

@ohiosveryown ended up digging deeper on that Upenn gen surg you mentioned. It turns out she did a post-bacc at Penn, so she probably secured a connection during that time which helped for matching. Likewise, I'll be an attending a low tier DO school, and we in a previous year had a Southwestern EM match, and likewise she did research at Southwestern during her pre-med years. I'm sure they worked hard and all, it but seems to be who you know what matters tremendously. As an incoming DO student this fall, I gotta figure out how to make those connects haha.
Who you know always matters, regardless of where you go to school.

Some of the elite DO matches I know of off the top of my head:

ENT at Duke (no connections)
Michigan CT surgery
NYU ortho
Mayo ortho
UWash ortho
UWash general surgery
Penn plastics
Penn ENT
Penn general surgery (did research while in med school at Penn)
IM at Baylor Houston
IM UT Southwester
IM at U Wash
Mayo Jax neurosurgery

So what are considered legit connections then, are we talking strictly at the chief resident and PD level? I would think my two bff's at NYU IM would work; what more can you ask for lol. Also, how do you meet such connections if I'm stuck at a medical school location? I've heard conferences, but why would these higher-ups talk to a low-tier DO student like myself. Plus, aren't there hundreds of other med. students trying to get onto their radar; why would they remember speficially me? I hate to be dismal about it, but I'm just curious since I just don't know as a matriculating pre-med.

Connections: PD > APD > faculty > chief > resident.

Okay there’s some wiggle room as in some places chiefs have a lot of influence on match…

Publish and get a good step score are probably the best two ways to level the playing field as a DO. Then kill a sub-I or two, it doesn’t matter if you want to go there you need to prove you can cut it in the academic environment.

PCOM-GA: student matched integrated IR at Emory

PCOM-SGA: student matched PM&R at JHU

SDN makes it seem like you won’t match GI or cards if you don’t go to a top 50 program. You can accomplish this goal by just training at just about any academic tertiary care center for IM.

Tbf, I’m not IM. So if someone who is wants to correct me on this, go for it. But I’ve worked with plenty of DO attendings in these fields who went to solid but not earth shattering programs for IM.

SDN makes it seem like you won’t match GI or cards if you don’t go to a top 50 program. You can accomplish this goal by just training at just about any academic tertiary care center for IM.

Tbf, I’m not IM. So if someone who is wants to correct me on this, go for it. But I’ve worked with plenty of DO attendings in these fields who went to solid but not earth shattering programs for IM.

I've seen other posts recently that confirm this, I think your advice is reasonably sound. Or at least the post was saying that matching academic IM was not a herculean feat, especially lower ones.

It’s extremely nerve wracking to think that literally decades of DOs proving themselves can be undone very quickly by the new DO schools that provide questionable training at best.

It’s extremely nerve wracking to think that literally decades of DOs proving themselves can be undone very quickly by the new DO schools that provide questionable training at best.
I don’t know if they really changed our perception. I’ve seen kids from Burell ect end up at great programs. I think DOs have won respect on the clinical side but I’m not sure academia more so tolerates us when they feel like it.