BEST DAT prep books!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovemedi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a consensus around here for what is the best DAT book?

In the MCAT forums, the consensus is that Berkeley review books are pretty good for all the sections... How about for the DAT? I've done a search and mostly found a prep book called "DAT Destroyer" to be good..

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there is a best book that is all-encompassing. Instead, there are "best books/guides" for each individual section. To me, Chad is best for OC and GC, Barron's AP for biology, Math Destroyer for QR. I thought the other Destroyer wasn't very helpful, though!

Your best bet is to read DAT breakdowns to get a feel for the best materials. Check out DAT e'lisse menu by Smurf....if you scroll down you should find it.
Good luck!

thanks, I checked and found a few common books.

is there an agreement that one test prep book is MUST HAVE? destroyer? kbb?

Members don't see this ad :)
Kaplan, Achiever, Destroyer and Organic chemistry as a second language are all good prep resources for the DAT.

I hear Achiever, Destroyer, CrackDat and Kaplan are good. Also, cliffs are good for bio to review.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

The overall SDN consensus tends to be:

BIO: Cliff's AP BIO (some say Barron's is useful, and some say DAT Q Vault is great for practice), most do Destroyer questions

OC and GC: Consensus is usually Chad's videos + DAT destroyer

PAT: Crack DAT and/or Achiever. Some variation here

QR: Math Destroyer

RC: I'm not sure on that.

I'm sure others can weigh in as well, and this list is from what I've gathered lurking this site since January '12. Good luck

Destroyer ( both books) Kaplan achiever (pat) Topscore ( practice tests) and don't forget your college textbooks :)

I wish I can tell you just one book. There are combinations. For Orgo I like Organic chemistry as a second language by David Klein ( it is small) and Destroyer. For Gen chem Destroyer and, McMurry and Zumdahll. For Bio, it is Cliffs, Cambells and Destroyer. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

The overall SDN consensus tends to be:

BIO: Cliff's AP BIO (some say Barron's is useful, and some say DAT Q Vault is great for practice), most do Destroyer questions

OC and GC: Consensus is usually Chad's videos + DAT destroyer

PAT: Crack DAT and/or Achiever. Some variation here

QR: Math Destroyer

RC: I'm not sure on that.

I'm sure others can weigh in as well, and this list is from what I've gathered lurking this site since January '12. Good luck

Totally agree.

I would also add Ochem as a 2nd language for OC, Crack DAT Reading for RC, and Campbells Bio book for Bio. Also Top score is a fairly representative practice test program.

This is what I've been using to prepare for my DAT:

For Reading, I'm using Kaplan; stuff is really great.

For Orgo, Gen Chem, Bio, and Math, I'm using the DAT Destroyer and Math Destroyer. Prob best bet for sciences and math.

For PAT, I'm using Crack DAT PAT; i find the software to be pretty decent.

Hi I was just reading through the thread and I noticed that no one really mentioned anything about the editions. I know it is probably best to get the latest editions, but a friend of mine still has all his destroyer books from 2011 that he is willing to give to me. Will it be better if I just buy all the latest editions or will the 2011 edition be fairly similar? It will be really helpful if you guys can give me your opinion. Thanks.

ive noticed that ppl who had amazing teachers (and they know and understand mostly everything due to an awesome class experience) for their prereqs (and assuming they didnt half-@ss the class), in general they dont need destroyer and all that other jazz and kaplan works for them. they just go through kaplan books and work out few probs and maybe buy few practice tests and bam, they r done and they usually do pretty well too!

however, if your like me and some of ur profs were not awesome like the way chad is, u will be deficient in some areas so u will need a difficult resource like destroyer and etc to help you to think like the way DAT wants you to.

i will tell u this. Chad is the man! I have to retake ochem 1 cuz I didnt do well the first time and I have made an A on both tests so far! In the high range, 97 and above mind you. This is coming from a kid who has never seen A's in ochem ever (I have a track record of pathetic grades in ochem so I cant tell u how aweosme it feels to get A )! And I havent had to practice significant probs and its to the point I can recognize mistakes on my profs test and even that of my TA's in the review sessions (I was even getting bored in the review sessions cuz ppl asked questions too obvious to me hah!) And its Chads vids that have helped me to get to this stage. Now, even destroyer and orgo odyssey are getting easier and its helping me cuz its all about applying what Chad taught me. And no, he didnt pay me to say that, but I wanted to give the man some credit for my A's haha!

moral of story, if you have an excellent GPA and feel u pretty much know the stuff (like really really know it) from your classes (albeit will need to review) then dont need to invest in expensive resources.otherwise, read breakdowns and invest away! ur score is important, do what u gotta do to make it as high as possible. ultimately you know ur strengths and weakenss so buy resources according to what u dont feel comfortable with.

Last edited: