Best degree for Student Affairs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cameo16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a J.D. but no interest in practicing law. I've been applying for positions as a career counselor in law schools but finding it very competitive. I selected the area thinking that it would allow me to do the sort of person-focused work I desire without getting another degree. Since it hasn't been working, I'm now exploring the idea of getting a degree that would help me stand out.

I have a strong desire to work one-on-one with students in a college or university setting and could picture myself doing career counseling, academic advising, or student affairs work. I'm unsure which degree (if any) would offer me the best chance of securing one of these types of positions.

Could anyone speak to the relative benefits of an M.A. in Counseling or Psychology, an MSW, and an M.A. in Student Development? I'm attracted to the flexibility of the M.A. in Counseling or Psych and the MSW, but I wonder if an M.A. in Student Development might be most on-point.

I appreciate any thoughts you all have on the matter!

Members don't see this ad.

I unfortunately don't have a direct answer to your question, but I wonder if it might be possible to look at the qualifications of folks in the positions in which you'd be interested? Or if that's not available on school websites, the contact info of those folks is probably posted, so perhaps you could contact a few of them and see if they could give you a brief blurb as to what they studied and/or which degree they feel would be most helpful?

Thanks, that's a good idea!

One of the challenges I feel like I have is that I'm confident of the setting I want, but the position is a little more unclear. I just know I would love to be working directly with students. Maybe talking with some folks in various positions is the way to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Umm...consider a M.A. in College Counseling or Student Affairs. Each program has its specialization in what they train so do a bit of research. Going to programs where you gain practical experience is very helpful (at least from what I hear from my peers in student affairs). While the education is helpful and required, most places will look at your practical experiences when hiring. Talk to people in the field, they tend to be very helpful and open to it.

Also consider a Clinical Mental Health Counseling M.A. with a Graduate Assistant and Internship in college settings. I'm currently interning at college counseling setting but some of my classmates are in career counseling centers in colleges and were hired from that.

Given your JD, you might have a leg up in Judicial Affairs part on college campus (dealing with kids who break the rules). Its within student affairs and most places have a more educational approach to dealing with this.

Also consider looking at job postings and seeing what they require for the jobs you are interested in.

I am currently doing a practicum at a career center, counseling students on career, academic & personal issues. Most people that work in career or student affairs have a Masters degree in Counseling (Mental health or student development) or MA in Higher Education. The advantage of a counseling degree is that you can work in different settings, not only college. If you decide to complete a Masters degree, make sure you can do a practicum/internship in a college setting.

Also, I'd advise you to identify people who work in law schools as advisors or counselors, and do an informational interview with them. Ask them them how they entered the field and minimum requirements. Use LinkedIn to connect with people and browse profiles of professionals who work with law students - notice their education and professional experience.

Hi All,

I have a J.D. but no interest in practicing law. I've been applying for positions as a career counselor in law schools but finding it very competitive. I selected the area thinking that it would allow me to do the sort of person-focused work I desire without getting another degree. Since it hasn't been working, I'm now exploring the idea of getting a degree that would help me stand out.

I have a strong desire to work one-on-one with students in a college or university setting and could picture myself doing career counseling, academic advising, or student affairs work. I'm unsure which degree (if any) would offer me the best chance of securing one of these types of positions.

Could anyone speak to the relative benefits of an M.A. in Counseling or Psychology, an MSW, and an M.A. in Student Development? I'm attracted to the flexibility of the M.A. in Counseling or Psych and the MSW, but I wonder if an M.A. in Student Development might be most on-point.

I appreciate any thoughts you all have on the matter!
CSPA or CMHC. Be sure to complete an internship at the university serving student population.

Many folks live on campus in residence halls - free room and board - tuition waiver - short program.

HTH

The student affairs deans at the two med schools I interviewed at were a PhD in educational leadership and an MD psychiatrist.

It's n=2 but you can just check job boards to see the degree requirements. I fully agree on getting some entry level experience too

I'd suggest MS programs in student affairs counseling from a CACREP accredited program.

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile