Best ENT programs to do Away rotations in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rodmichael82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year medical student but I'm struggling to figure out where I should do an away rotation. I have looked at the following programs and was wondering if there's reviews or anything in regards to these programs. I've searched online already and couldn't find anything.

1. George Washington
2. University of Wisconsin
3. Texas A&M

Members don't see this ad.

otomatch is your best bet. i'm curious as to why you're selecting aways at these relatively small programs (GWU, TAMU), in terms of # of seats? unless you have connections, geographic bias..

I've long been an opponent of away rotations. Having said that, you should do away rotations at a place that you think might be a place where you do residency. Don't go to a program just because there's a big name there who might write you a stunning recommendation. The reality is that they won't. 9 times out of 10 the letters of recommendation from big-name individuals are very impersonal and don't help your application. On the other hand if you go to a place that you really want to match at, you better exhibit your best, because you can easily kill your application with a misstep.

Sent via my mobile device.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've long been an opponent of away rotations. Having said that, you should do away rotations at a place that you think might be a place where you do residency. Don't go to a program just because there's a big name there who might write you a stunning recommendation. The reality is that they won't. 9 times out of 10 the letters of recommendation from big-name individuals are very impersonal and don't help your application. On the other hand if you go to a place that you really want to match at, you better exhibit your best, because you can easily kill your application with a misstep.

Hi neutropenia. I'm a below average applicant, Step 1 in the 230s, minimal research, no AOA, high pass 3rd year grades and mid-tier medical school. My understanding is that away rotations are my only saving grace at this point since I am below average. I just don't know anything about any of the programs so that's why I asked. I would like to do an AI somewhere where I have a realistic shot and I just don't know which programs those might be based on my stats.

Last edited:
Hi neutropenia. I'm a below average applicant, Step 1 in the 230s, minimal research, no AOA, high pass 3rd year grades and mid-tier medical school. My understanding is that away rotations are my only saving grace at this point since I am below average. I just don't know anything about any of the programs so that's why I asked. I would like to do an AI somewhere where I have a realistic shot and I just don't know which programs those might be based on my stats.

Dont want to discourage you, but would highly recommend a backup and applying to literally every program. Its a ****show right now for ent applicants.

As for the realistic places, you should speak to people who have applied that you know. I also ran into this problem where nobody will give you a straight answer and just say all programs are great blah blah blah because badmouthing a program carries risk for us. Just check otomatch for places you are interested.

I agree with Wordead.

I'm not that sure I could tell you what a less desirable program is. Otomatch.com does post reviews of programs, so you might be able to learn about some of the less competitive programs. On the other hand, the whole field is so competitive right now that even the "less desirable" programs will have 200+ applicants.

Have a back up.

On your rotations, you need to live and breathe ENT. Show up before everyone else. Participate on all levels. No task is beneath you. No individual is beneath you. Leave when there is nothing left to be done. When you get home, read and prepare for the next day until you sleep.

Turn your cell phone off.

Be enthusiastic, but don't be annoying.

That will be your best chance.