Best Headphone & Microphone Setup for Virtual Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newolduser

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! My first interview this cycle was in-person, but now I have a virtual interview next week. I've done a search of past threads, but was wondering if anybody had any recommendations for microphones and headphones that worked nicely for these types of interviews? I'm kind of overwhelmed looking at lavalier mics, not sure if I should use my over-ear headphones with mic, etc. Any tips or stuff that you've used that's worked well for you would be super appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I have this one for my Mac mini. It has a solid microphone built in.
All you need is speakers which shouldn’t matter as long as you can hear what they are asking you. That’s what I used for my most recent interview.

If you want headphones I would go with the AirPods Pro. I have the first generation ones.
Don’t use big headphones that will cover your head. Use some that are discreet and have a built in microphone.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't have a specific brand in mind, but the previous posters make great points that you need to have comfortable headphones or earbuds.

You want to be able to adjust your volume and noise proof your room.as much as you can.

You don't need a setup like a podcast studio... but I guess it wouldn't hurt.

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Echo the no over-ear headphones, subtle is better. I got this microphone I really like back when it was on sale for like $15:

Amazon product

But this was also because my laptop has a bit of a reverb/delay in the built in mic. Test out a zoom with a friend and see if you really need a new mic. Also unless your speakers are bad on your laptop, no point in buying a speaker. No one but you will hear and ideally you should be in a quiet, individual setting so that you don't need to keep the speaker in your ear.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Echo the no over-ear headphones, subtle is better. I got this microphone I really like back when it was on sale for like $15:

Amazon product

But this was also because my laptop has a bit of a reverb/delay in the built in mic. Test out a zoom with a friend and see if you really need a new mic. Also unless your speakers are bad on your laptop, no point in buying a speaker. No one but you will hear and ideally you should be in a quiet, individual setting so that you don't need to keep the speaker in your ear.

whats so bad about over-ear headphones?

Bro I've been wearing headphones to all my IIs :eek: fml
I’m sure it’s fine! I seriously doubt anyone questioned something that’s so obviously utilitarian. It’s just in general advice to not wear something bulky or distracting from the rest of your formal get up. Like telling people with long hair to pin/pull it back so that their face and expressions are more visible; stylistic choice.

• Wow
Status
Not open for further replies.