best laptop/computer for EMR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catzeye523

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fellow ODs,

I am in a sublease setting with Target Optical and have finally decided to make the switch to EMR. I want the convenience of accessing my charts at home if needed if I cannot complete everything at work i.e. submitting claims. Through the program I signed up for, it is cloud-based. From your experience, what is the best brand for a laptop/computer and why?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends which emr you got. Lots of emrs were written in old code and can't be used by apple products. Your best bet is to ask them what they recommend but as far as I know you can never go wrong with windows. I posted an emr tutorial in the classifieds if you want to play with it.

Like the previous poster stated, it depends on the software. Luckily most of the newer EMR are going toward the cloud based model. If that is the case then any types of computers can be used. Remember that technology changes every day and your hardware can become obsolete within 6 months. Look toward tablets/easy portability as your hardware needs. This is where it is going.