Best MCAT prep for RN to hopeful MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crystalag01

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I wanted to seek your assistance in preparing for MCAT test spring 2019. I did take a free MCAT prep course at a local medical school BUT we were basically the jump start group and it was not as organized and helpful as I would hope. I am still super grateful though for the opportunity; but, I need something else to supplement my weakness in science what prep course would you all suggest based on your experience?

Many of my science courses are years old; therefore, I am quite weak if I am being honest. I have purchased the EK book set and reviewed some Khan Academy videos. Any help, tips, advice, etc will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

princeton review onilne was fairly comprehensive.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
One RN to another- Does the fact that we're RNs affect what route we should use to study for MCAT?

Former RN and current resident here.
Firstly, make sure the coursework you’ve taken in the past fulfills premedical requirements. Some (but not all) nursing programs offer students courses such as “chemistry for nursing majors” or “biology for allied health majors” or that sort of thing to fulfill their program’s science requirements . These courses do not count towards your premedical course requirements in chemistry, biology, etc.

If your science coursework was completed with courses intended for nursing/allied health majors, then you’ll need to complete the prerequisites for medical school and that will certainly help you with MCAT prep.
If you’ve already completed the prerequisites, then yes, resources like Khan Academy are very helpful. You can also consider auditing courses at a local college depending on your personal circumstances and if this is an option at a given school-in this case, for a much, much lower fee than actually enrolling in the course, you can “sit in” a class. Though you don’t benefit from feedback through exams and graded assignments (you don’t really complete the course, you just sit there and listen!), and this isn’t for everyone, some people find it helpful to hear someone in person going over material.
Also make sure that no matter what, you do practice MCAT exams (the official practice exams, not only the ones offered by Kaplan, Princeton Review, etc). This is absolutely crucial, as doing well on the MCAT isn’t just about your knowledge base (though of course that’s fundamental!) but also about *how well you know the MCAT*.

Best of luck to you!!

One RN to another- Does the fact that we're RNs affect what route we should use to study for MCAT?

I think that the original poster's question is more likely dialed down to "how does an RN who took prereqs a few/many years ago study for the MCAT?"

@AlexMack12 has good suggestions. You could also complete free online MOOC (massive open online course like from MIT here).

Another suggestion is working through the Berekely Review (TBR) books, which the MCAT forum here suggest that TBR are more useful for those who need a full review as opposed to Kaplan or others that are top-level reviews.

Reactions: 2 users
from my experience in a similar situation....I recommend a live in person princeton review course plus spending a ton of hours doing every practice exam and question released by aamc.

Reactions: 1 user
I did not take the Princeton Review course but I did use their materials and found them to be hugely helpful for the test.. they really did a great job presenting the material but really stressing the high yield stuff IMO. I think you get their books if you do the course so that's a plus! A few classmates took it and I'd say more than half were happy with their experience. I personally self taught with the Princeton Review material and Khan academy but if you feel that a course is what you need being a couple years out then I'd go for it.. expensive yes but you do not want to take this thing twice and it will be worth it once you get that acceptance. Good luck!