best OMS residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UFOMS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone could chose the top OMS residency program, what would it be and why? (This question is directed to either current OMS residents or those applying to OMS specialty.)

Members don't see this ad.

Based on what criteria? You have to give us something to go on. There is no perfect program. That's like asking, "what's the best automobile?" Do you want mileage, luxury, reliability, or price?

Let us know what kind of program you're looking for, then we can be more helpful.

In my opinion, the best overall training programs by location are:

NORTHEAST
-UCONN
-LIJ
-PITT

SOUTH
-Alabama
-LSU (New Orleans)
-Parkland

MIDWEST
-Michigan

WEST
-UCSF
-Oregon

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting that OMFSdoc listed only 6 year programs

OMFSdoc said:
In my opinion, the best overall training programs by location are:

NORTHEAST
-UCONN
-LIJ
-PITT

SOUTH
-Alabama
-LSU (New Orleans)
-Parkland

MIDWEST
-Michigan

WEST
-UCSF
-Oregon

I liked LSU-Shreveport also.

I didn't interview at Oregon, but my co-residents who interviewed there got the feeling that the staff did much of the operating, and the fellow did all the cancer. But that's just hearsay.

toofache32 said:
I liked LSU-Shreveport also.

I didn't interview at Oregon, but my co-residents who interviewed there got the feeling that the staff did much of the operating, and the fellow did all the cancer. But that's just hearsay.

I have heard mixed reviews about Shreveport, but I didn't interview there, so I wouldn't know. There are a lot of other very good programs out there that I didn't mention only because I didn't really look too far outside the Northeast and West coast.

AND I guess I did list mostly 6 year programs (this was done unknowingly). There are definately some very good 4 year programs out there too. I really liked Washington Hospital Center in DC and Montefiore in the Bronx. Ohio state, Indiana and U. of Washington also have very good reps.

Good luck to all that are applying.

Ohio State is terrible! At least it was when I was there last year...residents hardly went to the OR, and when they did the faculty cut it all...one resident left...

Indiana's faculty stability has lead to residents leaving that program as well for new ones.

Speaking of 4 years, I liked VCU a lot.

How come Mayo is not on the list? I heard UCSF and UCLA are really good to no? I have heard great things about NYU an Sinai as well.

Do you guys have any insights on these programs?

AMMD said:
How come Mayo is not on the list? I heard UCSF and UCLA are really good to no? I have heard great things about NYU an Sinai as well.

UCSF is good, as is sinai. UCLA doesn't have that great of a rep. Really, the programs will all teach you how to take out third molars and place implants and do some trauma. The issue becomes when you want to do cosmetics and funky complex surgeries. Chief resident at my ex program at San Antonio says that his buddy at Sinai doesn't get to do nearly as much surgery wise, but still likes it. Just need to decide what you want out of a program. If you are looking for well rounded programs with an MD that do a fair amount of cosmetics/orthognathics look at Parkland, LSU NO, LSU Shreveport, Baylor, San Antonio, Alabama, Louisville. There are other good ones, but these were the ones that really stood out on my interviews. By the way, my Dean in dental school was Leon Assael, and he told me that "hands down, the best OMS program in the country right now is LSU shreveport". For what that is worth.

AMMD said:

I externed at Mayo and was not impressed at all. I didn't even apply. They do no trauma above the maxilla and every extraction is a big deal. Also, they make them do the first 2 years of med school (big waste of time) along with the 3rd year. You are only on OMS during your 1st and 6th year, which is not a good setup in my opinion because you forget everything during those middle 4 years.