Best option for "time you displayed resilience?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

partypantss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So a secondary question asks about a time you had to show resilience to accomplish your goals. Which topic do you think would be best to talk about:

1. Senior year of highschool I was obese (275+ lb's) and in a matter of half the school year, I lost about 80 pounds (I talked about this in my PS since it's what led me to major in Kinesiology.)

2. A dog sledding trip in Minnesota where I lived outside in -20 degree weather for about 10 days and learned how to survive in harsh conditions.

3. My first semester of college I struggled with grades (ended up with a 3.05) since I didn't know how to study yet.

4. Something about my dad dying last year and staying focused on school (not really sure how I would spin this one.)

As you can see, I'm lucky enough to only really have first world problems to talk about.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
"by slogging my way through all of these inane questions"

i like the first topic
i would go with the second topic though since you already talked about the first one in your personal statement
third one i would avoid because you don't want to highlight a low gpa
fourth one avoid too if you don't know where you're going with it. it might be too hard to write it without coming off as digging for sympathy

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
A lot of schools, even if they don't explicitly say it, don't like to see grades or MCAT themed essays for these type of prompts. I would go with the first or second idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dog sledding in -20 deg weather sounds most interesting to me. If I've read through your PS about weight loss I don't want to revisit it or I'll be bored.

First or second are fine. These prompts are less about what you are talking about and more about how you talk about them and how they impacted you.

I certainly would not bring up grades in a prompt. That is what transcripts are for.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks everyone, I will go with the dog sledding trip since it wasn't in my PS or anywhere else on my amcas.

combine all of them into an uber secondary

I am wondering about similar prompts, is it asking for a specific moment/period of time where you faced a challenge? Like, a few days or weeks? Or could you talk about longer term subjects?

@partypantss
I believe you owe us at least 1 photo of the cute doggies on the dogsledding team for SDN helping ya out :)

@partypantss
I believe you owe us at least 1 photo of the cute doggies on the dogsledding team for SDN helping ya out :)

Aww I would if I had any.. We couldn't bring our cell phones so there really aren't many pictures from the trip and I don't think I have any of the dogs. They were some amazing dogs though.

I am wondering about similar prompts, is it asking for a specific moment/period of time where you faced a challenge? Like, a few days or weeks? Or could you talk about longer term subjects?
I imagine either could work.. For example, if you had a rough childhood that could probably be a really good talking point for some people. I'm fortunate enough to have a pretty privileged upbringing so all I really have are short-term "challenges."

First or second are fine. These prompts are less about what you are talking about and more about how you talk about them and how they impacted you.

I certainly would not bring up grades in a prompt. That is what transcripts are for.

The only time it would be ok to bring grades up is if a question literally asks you to explain withdraws and/or poor academic performance correct?