Best program in thoracic radiation oncology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZXP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I am interested in thoracic radiation oncology and try to find a top program as a fellow. Which one would be the best in your mind in this specific section, MDACC, UMichigan, Stanford, or others? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

My guess would be to look where the big thorax attendings are. On my list: Hak Choy and Robert Timmerman at UTSW, Komaki (MDACC I believe), Turrisi (Wayne State?), Craig Stevens (Moffitt), Jeffrey Bogart (SUNY Upstate). I believe there are some big names at UNC, U Michigan and MSKCC, but their names escape me at the moment.

Last edited:
My guess would be to look where the big thorax attendings are. On my list: Hak Choy and Robert Timmerman at UTSW, Komaki (MDACC I believe), Turrisi (Wayne State?), Craig Stevens (Moffitt), Jeffrey Bogart (SUNY Upstate). I believe there are some big names at UNC, U Michigan and MSKCC, but their names escape me at the moment.

UNC has Mark Socinski and Tom Stinchcomb, who are well regarded med oncs, and perhaps Lawrence Marks has taken over thoracic rad onc since relocating there. Before that, I recall that David Morris, Jan Halle, and Julian Rosenman all kind of split lung. Fen-Ming Kong is at UMich, and Ken Rosenzweig at MSKCC.

I'd add Jeff Bradley at Wash U, as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Curious...
I thought the clinical fellowships were for techniques (SRS, brachytherapy, protons) that you may not have been exposed to and for pediatrics. Lung is something everyone gets so much of in residency. Just curious, why you are pursuing it? I just figured that if you went on faculty somewhere you may get to see lung CA, since it isn't very "sexy" and that way you could specialize. And that way you make staff salary...
S

Curious...
I thought the clinical fellowships were for techniques (SRS, brachytherapy, protons) that you may not have been exposed to and for pediatrics. Lung is something everyone gets so much of in residency. Just curious, why you are pursuing it? I just figured that if you went on faculty somewhere you may get to see lung CA, since it isn't very "sexy" and that way you could specialize. And that way you make staff salary...
S

I think there are site-specific fellowships as well. H&N and peds come to mind (although peds really isn't an anatomical site per se).

UNC has Mark Socinski and Tom Stinchcomb, who are well regarded med oncs, and perhaps Lawrence Marks has taken over thoracic rad onc since relocating there. Before that, I recall that David Morris, Jan Halle, and Julian Rosenman all kind of split lung. Fen-Ming Kong is at UMich, and Ken Rosenzweig at MSKCC.

I'd add Jeff Bradley at Wash U, as well.

Rosenzweig is now the chairman at Mount Sinai