Best region to practice in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buddhasmash

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taking into account things like the market, the local economy, scope of practice laws, and cost of malpractice insurance, which is the best region of the US to practice plastic surgery? I'm especially interested in finding places with the lowest insurance rates.

For that matter, how common is it for plastic surgeons to carry malpractice insurance these days, what with the costs being so ridiculous?

Members don't see this ad.

For that matter, how common is it for plastic surgeons to carry malpractice insurance these days, what with the costs being so ridiculous?

Does any one here know *any* plastic surgeons without malpractice insurance?

I'd venture its a very low percentage given the litiginousness of the plastics population. You may also find that hospitals will not give you privileges without it (at least not here). I was required to show proof of it (and continue to do so every year) for hospital and surgery center privileges and insurance credentialing.

I don't want to pull out the "its too early" for you, as a pre-med, to be worried about these things, but the market, malpractice rates, etc. are always in flux. The best state to practice in today may not be in 5 years, or in 12 or so when you are ready for practice. I don't think anyone can predict these things except to say that a state with tort reform, a population with expendible income and not lots of competition are always good markets.

Last edited:
I don't know of any places where you can get privileges at a hospital or an accredited surgery center without malpractice insurance. I know that there are some places in Florida where people go uncovered due to the issues of insurance there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies, guys. I had heard about the issues with insurance in Florida, that's how I got the idea in my head that some people just didn't use it. I really have no idea how malpractice insurance works, quite frankly. How does one find out the average cost of insurance for the various specialties and various regions?

Thanks for the replies, guys. I had heard about the issues with insurance in Florida, that's how I got the idea in my head that some people just didn't use it. I really have no idea how malpractice insurance works, quite frankly. How does one find out the average cost of insurance for the various specialties and various regions?

A Google search is a way to start, but remember that insurance actuarials take more into account than just specialty and where you live. Your rate might be higher or lower than the guy next door depending on how long you've practiced, how many times you've been sued or reached a settlement agreement, what types of procedures you do (ie, if you do aesthetics or Hand {which Max could tell us about} you might have higher rates than someone who does mostly craniofacial). You can also call and try and get quotes but I'd venture most places won't just throw a number out because there are so many variables. Best to ask those that practice in certain regions. Most physicians will tell you what they pay for malpractice.

But please don't tell me you are basing your future career on costs of malpractice insurance. This is a mutable factor which will undoubtedly change over the years. There are other specialties with higher rates than PRS. But, FWIW currently Texas has some really low rates as do most states with tort reform. Do NOT practice in Pennsylvania, especially in or near Philly.

I agree with WS. I'm sure this is an exciting thing for you to read about, but you should go make decisions and research issues of more immediate importance than the costs of malpractice insurance for different specialties and different regions. It will all change by the time you're in practice (if you even go into medicine).

My understanding of Plastics malpractice rates is pretty limited -- since I'm in academics all I know is "they" take care of it. I appreciate having "them" around to do those things for me. ;-)

If droliver checks in at some point he can probably give an explanation of sorts since he's in private practice.

Happy New Year!!

What are the other states with active tort reforms ? I have heard about Texas and Indiana.

Texas and Indiana are great. Kansas is very good. I've heard good things about California, too. Pretty much any "conservative" state will have better tort reform than a "liberal" state.

I was in Illinois for part of my training. Malpractice hell. I would never practice there.

Texas and Indiana are great. Kansas is very good. I've heard good things about California, too. Pretty much any "conservative" state will have better tort reform than a "liberal" state.

I was in Illinois for part of my training. Malpractice hell. I would never practice there.

Ditto for Pennsylvania.

Ditto for Pennsylvania.

agreed that some regions are more surgery-friendly than others due to conservative politics or tort reform efforts (e.g. Kansas).

that said, plastic surgeons are not nearly as subject to medical malpractice as other surgery fields (neurosurgery) or fields entailing invasive intervention (OB/GYN).

i suppose you could narrow down things to a couple geographic areas by malpractice-friendly + "location i wanna be in"...but keep in mind we're talking about plastic surgery. upon finishing residency and looking for group practices, say, you're not exactly gonna have your pick of the litter, especially when the economy's taken a hit.

remember most cases settle, and if they do proceed to court the defense (physician) usually wins. as a plastic surgeon, and w/ very few exceptions, you won't be shelling out $300k/yr for malpractice insurance like some of the neurosurg folks in plaintiff-friendly locales...