best route

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turtledovin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All

I am very seriously considering going to school for optometry. Maintaining two jobs, I have worked part time for a practice for the last three years as an optometric technician, having started w/o prior experience. Just of late I have realized how much I actually enjoy that aspect of patient care and think it would be very rewarding to be an OD. My question is what is the best track to take? I do have an associates in electronic engineering technology, although unfortunately for me it was acquired through a tech school which means NO transferability of those credits. My pocketbook wants me to take a pre-med program at my local community college but having looked at the admissions requirements for the optometry schools I am not all that confident that that would cut-the-mustard. Although I feel that my number of years of experience working in a practice, coupled with the letters of recommendation that I can obtain (both from an OD and a visual therapist), along with an optometric technician certification that just might be enough? Having already been down the fruitless road of my labor once I abhor the thought of doing the wrong thing. Please advise.

Thanks!
-TD

Members don't see this ad.

Can you afford to attend a public university in your state? Can you get financial aid, somehow?

You should contact the admissions officers at several optometry schools for their opinions on this matter. Personally, I don't really think it matters whether you go to a university or a CC for your premed educations, as long as you maintain a high GPA and score well on the OAT (easier said than done, of course). Your observational experiences will help you greatly.

Good luck!

What admissions offices consider to be competitive applications is a (sometimes) ambiguous combination of real-world experience, GPA, college attended (university vs. community college), OAT scores, etc.

If I were you, I'd call a couple admissions offices at optometry schools you're interested in, and talk to them about your situation -- they should be able to give you the best advice.

Good luck! :luck:

definitely talk to an admissions councelor... they usually very friendly and helpful and ready to talk to anyone interested in OD school.

BUT most schools now do require a BA/BS degree before entering OD school (not just completion of pre-reqs).... so you could start at a CC but would have to transfer to a four year school eventually.

I admire your dedication.... good luck !!