Best Shot- Any advice/ideas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runthiscity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm applying this cycle (2014) to both MD and DO schools. I submitted my AMCAS and AACOMAS on the days they opened, without having my MCAT scores at the time. Here's my stats:

3.275c, 3.21s, MCAT: 24: 9 PS, 8 VR, 7 BS
I had a crappy freshman year, so I intend to graduate with a 3.3+ c/s based on my course work for senior year. I attend a large public university in the midwest; WI resident
Retaking MCAT 8/2, with major emphasis on BS (I was scoring 8/ mostly 9s on my practice exams).

- will complete the summer with 700+ hours research between two labs with plans to continue in current lab
- Exec Board member of peer-based learning organization (~180 hours to date)
- Exec. Board member of new pre-med society (~60 hours to date)
- 50+ hours shadowing MDs/DOs
- 90 hours volunteering in hospital/medical setting
- 100+ hours tutoring for local middle school
- participated in VIDA trip (unsure if this is actually helpful now, but I certainly learned a ton and had an excellent time!)
- general member of AED pre-med society
- general member of campus dance organization
- seriously train for half-marathons ~2-3/ year
- other past employment (hostess, nanny)

I applied to what seems like a ton of schools, and insight is appreciated! (i.e. if you were granted an interview with similar stats, which ones I should concentrate on, etc.) Here's the list:

DO Schools:
A.T. Still, SOM- AZ
A.T. Still KCOM- MO
Chicago COM of Midwestern University- IL
Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine- IA
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine- PA
Marian University COM- IN
Michigan State University COM- MI
Ohio University Heritage COM- OH
Philadelphia COM- PA
Rocky Vista University COM- CO
Rowan University SOM- NJ
Touro COM- NY
University of New England- ME
University of Pikeville-Kentucky COM- KY
West Virginia SOM- WV
William Carey University COM- MS

MD Schools:
Albany Medical College
Central Michigan University College of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
Howard University
Marshall Univ Joan C. Edwards SOM
Medical College of Wisconsin
Meharry Medical College
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
The University of Vermont College of Medicine
University of Illinois at Chicago- College of Medicine
University of Minnesota Medical School- Twin Cities and Duluth
University of Wisconsin
Wayne State University School of Medicine

(Yeah... quite the list)

Good luck to everyone else applying this year!

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you have a demonstrated commitment to the African American community your chances at the historically black colleges is small.

Your stats are below the 10th % at all the other MD schools for which there is data (we still have to wait for Marshall but they are a public school and you would be OOS). Thus, I think your MD list is very low yield.

Others can speak to your competitiveness for the DO list better than I.

Good luck.

You have no chance at MD schools, and unless you score in the high 20s, chances at DO programs are at best, fair, especially with a 7Bio score. You're borderline auto-reject if I were going to interview you...but that's just me.

I'm applying this cycle (2014) to both MD and DO schools. I submitted my AMCAS and AACOMAS on the days they opened, without having my MCAT scores at the time. Here's my stats:

3.275c, 3.21s, MCAT: 24: 9 PS, 8 VR, 7 BS

DO Schools:
A.T. Still, SOM- AZ
A.T. Still KCOM- MO
Chicago COM of Midwestern University- IL
Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine- IA
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine- PA
Marian University COM- IN
Michigan State University COM- MI
Ohio University Heritage COM- OH
Philadelphia COM- PA
Rocky Vista University COM- CO
Rowan University SOM- NJ
Touro COM- NY
University of New England- ME
University of Pikeville-Kentucky COM- KY
West Virginia SOM- WV
William Carey University COM- MS

Edit: In an embarrassing bout of dyslexia I completely misread your stats. Just edited to make this reply not totally off topic :)

I'm still leery of apps to U of Illinois, U of Minnesota, and Wayne State for the aforementioned reason: all are public schools that matriculate less than 30% of their students from out of state (27%, 19%, and 22% in 2012 respectively). Marshall has an almost totally exclusive preference for WV residents and residents of states directly neighboring WV.

Again, as gyngyn said, your chances at Howard, Meharry, and Morehouse are slim if you aren't considered an underrepresented minority in medicine.

I would say to add Virginia Tech and Tulane to your MD list. Both are private, which will help. Also consider EVMS. They have 50% OOS admission rates, though are likely to favor OOS-ers with higher stats - but they might be worth a shot if you're up it.

Last edited: