Best sub-specialty for lifestyle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
RUC and the ridiculous RVU for certain procedures and the overuse of those procedures is a different issue. Creating a different issue where oncology is in bed with pharma directly as part of routine and nth line chemo is the norm for drugs that have to show the lowest version of clinical efficacy of any class on the market for approval is an entirely different problem. Both of them are wrong but one doesn't make the other right. If my orthopod was selling me the implant they planned to put in my body I would have huge ethical concerns over that practice, wouldn't you?.
Your orthopod doesn't have to sell you the implant directly to have a huge financial incentive toward giving you that implant - larger in fact than I do to give you that nth line of chemo.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Your orthopod doesn't have to sell you the implant directly to have a huge financial incentive toward giving you that implant - larger in fact than I do to give you that nth line of chemo.
Again a different issue (a tka shouldn't bill the same as 6 hours of cc time), doesn't make it less concerning.

Reactions: 1 users
The outpatient billing codes are the same and $/wRVU isn’t significantly different between the primarily outpatient fields. Earning potential is similar IMO - it’s not procedures that makes money, it’s the E&M codes. Endocrine seems to attract those that value lifestyle much more than $ and anecdotally speaking I know a lot of “not quite full-time” endocrinologists which likely impacts the compensation surveys.
Agree! My husband is an endocrinologist, he works 4 days a week just outpt , never on call, all weekends off and He makes 280 k. But if he decides to work harder, like 5 full days a week he would be making around 320-350k. Most of the endocrine people works part time or 4 days a week that impacts the compensation surveys for sure

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Because they're too busy having fun doing stuff outside and counting money.
Lol…umm no…
Probably more like trying to catch with their inbox that is full of incessant concerns that their weight gain and fatigue is from their perfectly functioning thyroid and finishing up all the PAs…

Reactions: 2 users
Lol…umm no…
Probably more like trying to catch with their inbox that is full of incessant concerns that their weight gain and fatigue is from their perfectly functioning thyroid and finishing up all the PAs…
Agree. Although not unique to endocrine. all specialties struggle with that. All the people that I know in Rheum , Primary care, GI, Hem/onc complaint about the same

I do appreciate this discussion. I was just considering the pros/cons of each since I'm very early into my career and wanted to get a better understanding of each of the fellowships available in Internal Medicine. Just want to start off on the right foot and shoot towards that goal.
What did u end up pursuing?