Best thing to get good at during your intern medicine year for anesthesia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrOwnage

Attending
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

PGY-1 anesthesia here at a categorical program with a built-in medicine intern year. I was just wondering if you could look back at your intern year; was there anything in particular that is more useful in the OR medical knowledge-wise? Obviously I will have to learn almost everything, but is there anything I can focus on to make sure I will be a better anesthesia resident in the upcoming future?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

PGY-1 anesthesia here at a categorical program with a built-in medicine intern year. I was just wondering if you could look back at your intern year; was there anything in particular that is more useful in the OR medical knowledge-wise? Obviously I will have to learn almost everything, but is there anything I can focus on to make sure I will be a better anesthesia resident in the upcoming future?

1) Make checky boxes.
2) Communicate.
3) Help your co-residents.

You will have a lot of tasks to accomplish on a lot of patients, in not a lot of time. You have to learn to stay organized.
If you have questions about something, ask. I would say there are no stupid questions, but there are. It's better to look stupid in intern year than as a PGY 3 or 4, though. If you need help, ask.
Don't be a dick. Don't leave a bunch of tasks for the next shift. If you're able, help other residents with their checky boxes.

You will learn the medicine you need to learn by showing up, being proactive, and reading about your patients.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Medicine, obviously.

Since you are staying at the institution, build relationships with other house-staff and attendings. It is helpful to know people in gi, cards, icu, and of course surgery.

Yoga

You'll master the big bend over

This was great : )

On a more serious note, I'd suggest getting good at these 2 things in addition to what others are saying:
1. Medicine in general and other specialties so you know how to deal medical problems/co-morbidities in preop and the OR. This one is a given.
2. Politics. This one is never taught. Get good at speaking with colleagues, attendings, and other medical professional and continue with that through anesthesia. Things like conveying your professional opinion and thoughts without upsetting egos..etc. Watch how people higher up deal with the same issues so you learn.

This was great : )
2. Politics. This one is never taught. Get good at speaking with colleagues, attendings, and other medical professional and continue with that through anesthesia. Things like conveying your professional opinion and thoughts without upsetting egos..etc. Watch how people higher up deal with the same issues so you learn.

Very true. It is probably difficult to master this your intern year since nobody respects your opinion, but definitely keep it in mind as you go through residency and fellowship.

Hey guys,

Read "The White Coat Investor" and any other pertinent financial books/websites you can. Now more than ever, you'll have to learn how to manage a huge debt load with what will almost certainly be a $200-250k salary throughout your career.

Reactions: 2 users
Read "The White Coat Investor" and any other pertinent financial books/websites you can. Now more than ever, you'll have to learn how to manage a huge debt load with what will almost certainly be a $200-250k salary throughout your career.

Sigh. Comments like this aren't helpful, and clearly NOT what you were asking about. Take your negativity somewhere else!

Get exposure and read about your patients and the individual pathologies they have. Also consider looking at how those pathologies influence the anesthetic during surgery (may be hard to grasp before you are in the actual OR doing cases, though!). Stoelting's Anesthesia and Co-Existing Disease is very helpful here and gives quick and high-yield information. You will be surprised at how much Internal Medicine (pathophysiology, treatment, pharmacology, etc...) that shows up on your boards.

The tone was negative, but reading WCI as an intern is still excellent advice. I wish I had.

No need to overthink intern year. It's all about being on time and getting your work done. Read about your patients when you can.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sigh. Comments like this aren't helpful, and clearly NOT what you were asking about. Take your negativity somewhere else!

Get exposure and read about your patients and the individual pathologies they have. Also consider looking at how those pathologies influence the anesthetic during surgery (may be hard to grasp before you are in the actual OR doing cases, though!). Stoelting's Anesthesia and Co-Existing Disease is very helpful here and gives quick and high-yield information. You will be surprised at how much Internal Medicine (pathophysiology, treatment, pharmacology, etc...) that shows up on your boards.

It's actually very helpful imo. I read white coat investors blog and bought his book and they were very much worth the time and effort. I had no idea about 401ks or buying a house vs renting but now I feel much better about being able to plan my financial future. I've been approached by a financial adviser and now I know what a scam it is and why I shouldn't bother paying 1% fees for active management when I can be getting vanguard index funds for 0.04%. School teaches you about medicine but you don't learn a thing about how to be an adult in the real world.

I would recommend matching into a program that has anesthesia integrated into intern year, I think our OR skills definitely make us a bit better even on the floor.

Best thing to get good at during your intern medicine year

1. Locating the most isolated, cleanest bathrooms in the hospital for purposes of dropping a twofer.
2. Locating the nurses' stations which have the premium flavored creamers so your hospital coffee tastes less like coffee-ground emesis.
3. Locating pantries which are fully stocked with juice, ice cream, pudding, peanut butter, crackers, insulated mugs, crunchy hospital ice etc.
4. Sweet-talking the cafeteria lady so she gives you free food.
5. Determining which restaurants have the best balance of ability to deliver late-night, quality, price, and speed of delivery.
6. Determining which resident and/or staff lounges have the best TV for watching late-night sporting events.
7. Pre-sleep rounding and sweet-talking nurses so they call you less at 3am about stable patient lyte replacement.

Reactions: 5 users
On a more serious note, I'd suggest getting good at these 2 things in addition to what others are saying:
1. Medicine in general and other specialties so you know how to deal medical problems/co-morbidities in preop and the OR. This one is a given.

Big agree on the politics piece, and learning how to communicate with others. Very, very useful!

Also, enjoy your first year - there are a lot of hour restrictions too which means free weekends are plentiful. Take advantage of predictable 6-6 or 7-7 scheduling and meet up with the rest of your intern class - you'll be spending the next 4 years together, so have some fun.

Get good at DELIVERING CARE TO THE PATIENT

Medicine people increasingly believe that care is delivered via the computer since that's where they spend 99% of their time

Hey guys,

you will be consulting the surgery interns frequently for help. they will hate when you consult them as it means they have to do work.

the surgery interns will be dumping patients on your service that have a lot of medical problems. you will hate these dumps as it will mean YOU have to do work.

make friends with these guys. eat lunch with them. go out drinking with them. your intern year it will be Medicine VS. Surgery. the next few years it will be Anesthesia VS. Surgery. you're gonna be staring across the drape at them for years. it will be a lot easier if you are good friends with them.

you will be consulting the surgery interns frequently for help. they will hate when you consult them as it means they have to do work.

the surgery interns will be dumping patients on your service that have a lot of medical problems. you will hate these dumps as it will mean YOU have to do work.

make friends with these guys. eat lunch with them. go out drinking with them. your intern year it will be Medicine VS. Surgery. the next few years it will be Anesthesia VS. Surgery. you're gonna be staring across the drape at them for years. it will be a lot easier if you are good friends with them.

This is good advice, I did a surgically-based categorical year and knowing the residents in my year (and those above) is a tremendous advantage and makes your day in the OR so much more positive and enjoyable. Plus they trust you more.

This is good advice, I did a surgically-based categorical year and knowing the residents in my year (and those above) is a tremendous advantage and makes your day in the OR so much more positive and enjoyable. Plus they trust you more.
Seriously, one could give a crap about how much the surgical residents trust one. It's called the blood-brain barrier for a reason.

Seriously, one could give a crap about how much the surgical residents trust one. It's called the blood-brain barrier for a reason.

Makes a huge difference for me as the workplace is so much more enjoayble. Sorry you do not agree.

Makes a huge difference for me as the workplace is so much more enjoayble. Sorry you do not agree.
I do agree with being friendly to everybody one works with, and how much more enjoyable it makes everything, and how important socializing with coworkers outside of the workplace is.

I just wouldn't care about the surgical residents' opinion about an anesthesia resident's knowledge and performance. The latter has forgotten more about anesthesiology than the former will ever know. The reason for that being mainly that surgical residents are not required to do anesthesiology rotations anymore.

Yes, we are in a "smoke and mirrors" specialty, where it matters more who we know than what we know, but focusing on making surgeons happy is a slippery slope that leads to bad patient care.

Last edited by a moderator:
focusing on making surgeons happy is a slippery slope that leads to bad patient care.

agree 100%. patient care comes first always, as often we are the only advocates for a patient in the perioperative world. h0wever it does lead to an interesting discussion.

the rest of this post isn't really for you @FFP - you're already an attending and and likely agree with at least some of the following. or, you don't, and that's fine also. this is more for the residents and medical students:

my order of things:

1. patient care
2. making the surgeons happy
3. everything else

i try to never forget that we are in a service industry.

they see the patient in clinic 1-2 times. see them in preop. operate on them. see them POD#0,1,2 to whatever day they are discharged. see them at one week. one month. one year. again for a different surgery. and so on.

we are there for 10% or less of the patient's overall surgical experience. so as long as whatever the surgeon is asking for does not harm the patient, i say "sure."

"sure, i can raise the MAP a little" (whether or not Ii turn the gas down, give some pressor, give fluid, or just move the stupid transducer is up to me)
"oh, he's getting a little light? sure, i'll deepen him" (whether or not i actually deepen him is up to me)
"seems tight to you? sure, i'll make sure he's fully relaxed" (usually i just push saline, but they THINK i'm doing something. i sometimes also even say "guys, give it a minute while the relaxant works." and then wait and do nothing. and then 3 minutes later "is it better?" the answer 100% of the time is "yeah it's so much better!!!")
"want vanco instead of ancef? sure."
"sure, i can put in a TLC after the case"
"want an epidural? sure"
"don't want an epidural? sure"
"want general? sure"
"want MAC? sure"
"raise the table? lower the table? raise the table? lower the table? raise the table? lower the table? sure"

if you say "sure" 95% of the time, then, that other 5%, when it REALLY matters and you say "ABSOLUTELY NOT", the surgeon thinks "wow, he always says 'sure' and now he is saying 'ABSOLUTELY NOT'- maybe i should listen to him." and they usually do.

i generally only fight battles when i believe in the issue strongly enough to die on that hill.

a couple of the anesthesia residency programs that i have worked at train their residents essentially the opposite of this - to be aggressive, argue, and fight everything the surgeon wants - "the surgeon doesn't know anything, we know better" - which is then supposed to lead to better patient care.

i find my method of being deferential results in an exponentially more pleasant work environment and a better relationship with my surgical colleagues - which I believe results in better patient care overall. will this work at every hospital with every group of surgeons in every situation? of course not. but in my practice it works wonderfully, and myself and my colleagues generally act in this manner.

Piss off jag off.

Probably what helped me out most intern year during a medicine year was staying organized when on floor months. Seriously. Knowing every little detail about your patient and being able to present it succinctly or recall info about them from 4 days ago on rounds is so much easier when organized. I recommend using the medfools templates if they still exist. Choose the one that suits you best.

When it comes to elective choices, focus on stuff that will help you the most during an anesthesia residency: cardiology, Pulmonology, extra CCM months. Stay away from BS like dermatology. Rads would be a good choice too, focusing on the chest X-Ray.

Otherwise, I'd ignore all things anesthesia (like reading Baby Miller) until maybe about March of intern year. Get an essential medicine book, like Cecil Essentials and make that your book for the year.

Don't worry so much about ICU procedures like A-Lines and central lines. You'll do your share of them in anesthesiology. If however a subclavian line opportunity presents itself, then take it. At my place, some second year med residents got first crack at lines because they didn't do enough intern year - there's a reason why the 20g PIV is so common in the MICU, while patients in my unit are appropriately lined.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile