Best time to ask for LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nufsi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be submitting my application in January and I was wondering if asking a professor for a rec letter in mid December is too late.
I have read a thread saying that giving a professor less than a month is rude.

Members don't see this ad.

Could you perhaps ask the professor towards the start of December?
If you know the professor personally and have a good solid relationship then it might be okay..
But generally speaking, professors are very busy and might not have time to get to your letter of recommendation on top of their schedules. They tend to forget and require constant reminders. Plus, mid-December is usually finals week and they're probably creating, distributing, or grading exams and final projects.
Letting them know a month in advance is usually preferred.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I have been going to his office hours quite often, but I am not sure if he is going to gladly write lor for me if I ask him before I take finals. I really don't know..
Our finals end in mid-December though.

Will PharmCAS send LORs to schools even though they are submitted late after my application has been alredy submitted?

If my third LOR is running late, would schools not review my application?

I have been going to his office hours quite often, but I am not sure if he is going to gladly write lor for me if I ask him before I take finals. I really don't know..
Our finals end in mid-December though.

Will PharmCAS send LORs to schools even though they are submitted late after my application has been alredy submitted?

If my third LOR is running late, would schools not review my application?

I think the earlier you ask the better, because at least they'll be expecting it. I'm not sure if professors are willing to do LOR's during the break as they might have things planned during the holiday season. The LOR's will be submitted but its up to the school whether or not they'll accept it late. My prof submitted their letter a day after the deadline and the school still accepted my application. It'll most likely just be marked as incomplete until it gets in