Best time to learn critical language

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imtotallynotbradpitt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently studying Russian as an undergraduate. I'm concerned that learning it now wouldn't be high yield in terms of retention because of the rigor of medical school and residency. Concerning military medicine, when do you guys think would be the best time to learn another language? Does the military have resources for Russian learners since it is a very political language?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why exactly do you feel that you need to learn it? Personal interest? For additional pay? Because you think the military cares?

If you're learning it for you, now is the time because you have time now.

If you're interested in some kind of credit from the Army, you'll be expected to pass a language proficiency exam prior to getting anything whatsoever in terms of credit or pay. I've not taken one, but my Mormon amigos who spent two years speaking a foreign language in a foreign land tell me it's not easy. Which means you've gotta learn it very well and maintain it while in med school and residency.

The military really doesn't care if a doctor speaks any language beyond English and PFC-idiocy.

It's for my own interest! That's very good to know that they don't care I guess...

As a physician the military could careless if you spoke 10 languages, as long as one of them is English. Now if you were some sort of intelligence analyst in the military then a language such as Russian, Arabic, Mandarin is very important.

When you were about 4-10 years old. Sorry you missed your chance.

Reactions: 2 users
Молодец, что учишь русский. Тебе он очень пригодиться. Давай учи как можно быстрее! :) я знаю что США измеряет "fluency" по таким путем: по сколько понимаешь вечерние новости. Так вот, выходи на интернет, а именно на "YouTube" на канал "вести недели." Там будешь видеть новости из русской страны и учить русский язык одновременно. Я вот этим путем учу его сама. И еще, есть один парень "Tim" on channel "чужой" на YouTube. Он американец но выучил русский и ведет радио-передачу для россиян на Руском с большом американском акценте. Так что он хороший пример и ободрения что мы стобой тоже можем добиться успеха! :)

If you'd like to practice your Russian conmigo, private message me and we can chat more. Like I said above, put all your efforts into studying it now and tune into the Russian news to solidify your skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are Russian mail order brides still available?

No, but "Skype Order Brides" are. Let me hook you up. Russian brides ehem...russian wives are the best! The good news for american men: The competition is a lot less fierce because the stats are 2:1 (women: men) over yonder in the Euroasian motherland. Secondly, russian girls have one value that seperates them from the common western girl: respect... They respect their men and themselves for that matter. And lastly...they are domestic goddesses, aim to please, fairly independent, and love to love. Ok..this is for another thread...I derail... and for now...I shall end.

Kell me ven u nid tu tek tu a ressien gerl.

Reactions: 1 user
If this is about pay...the answer is no...the military won't pay you for having proficiency in critical languages as a physician. If you were doing intel or something like that...maybe.

If this is about pay...the answer is no...the military won't pay you for having proficiency in critical languages as a physician. If you were doing intel or something like that...maybe.

I had 2 Korean fellow residents who received language pay for fluency in korean throughout residency. They used to laugh about the language fluency test because the paragraph they had to translate was the same each year.

Not sure if things are different now or there is variation between the services...

I had 2 Korean fellow residents who received language pay for fluency in korean throughout residency. They used to laugh about the language fluency test because the paragraph they had to translate was the same each year.

Not sure if things are different now or there is variation between the services...

Really? Wow. The OP scratch everything I just said

This is more priceless.... :vomit:

Does this child's parents know what she is smoking?

No more, please, it makes me depressed.

Reactions: 1 user
Really? Wow. The OP scratch everything I just said

That would be totally awesome! Anyone
Know his much the language pay is, if it does exist for medical officers?

I'm currently studying Russian as an undergraduate. I'm concerned that learning it now wouldn't be high yield in terms of retention because of the rigor of medical school and residency. Concerning military medicine, when do you guys think would be the best time to learn another language? Does the military have resources for Russian learners since it is a very political language?

Here is what in was referring to earlier:

It will not only help develop your vocab but also see a different side of world events, something that msnbc, fox, BBC, abc, and the other pony shows won't ever disclose

Learn the language if you are interested in learning it esp if you wish to travel there. It does not matter what military thinks about it. I learned Spanish and I rarely used it. Since I rarely use it it is challenging to maintain the skill. I wished I learned to speak Japanese since I liked to travel there.

I do not think military pays for speaking language esp for Army..unless you are military linguist

The Navy will pay up to $500 per language for language proficiency, for up to two languages. Its based on a standardized test that you need to retake annually. To get the money either you either need to show that you use the language as part of your duties, or your language needs to be critical language list. The critical language list is REALLY long (French is on there, and so is Thai, to give you an idea) so if you speak something that's not Spanish or Tagalog odds are its 'critical'. I'm told its hard to ace the test, which is what you'd need to get the full 500, but they pay out some amount of money for relatively mild proficiency. If you took classes in a critical language in college you could probably get enough to cover a cellphone bill.

Wow, it was painful watch. what has our education system come down to? Makes me want to gag. ok.. enough.

You get she's joking, right? She runs a popular youtube channel (40,000 subscribers!) posting troll videos imitating a right wing idiot. Basically Colbert's shtick, except that she appears to be in middle school. Based on her views she's making a couple of grand off of each of these things.

If you pass the exam, it's worth $$ in the Navy. But those folks are either native speakers or DLI grads for the most part.
Sweet! For once my language skills will actually be monetarily rewarded! Thanks for sharing :)

The Navy will pay up to $500 per language for language proficiency, for up to two languages. Its based on a standardized test that you need to retake annually. To get the money either you either need to show that you use the language as part of your duties, or your language needs to be critical language list. The critical language list is REALLY long (French is on there, and so is Thai, to give you an idea) so if you speak something that's not Spanish or Tagalog odds are its 'critical'. I'm told its hard to ace the test, which is what you'd need to get the full 500, but they pay out some amount of money for relatively mild proficiency. If you took classes in a critical language in college you could probably get enough to cover a cellphone bill.
How do I find qualifying measures to determine my proficiency prior to taking the test?

You get she's joking, right? She runs a popular youtube channel (40,000 subscribers!) posting troll videos imitating a right wing idiot. Basically Colbert's shtick, except that she appears to be in middle school. Based on her views she's making a couple of grand off of each of these things.
I sure hope so!

I earn $600 extra per month by scoring 3s for both listening and reading in two emerging critical languages.

Basically, the test materials are based on bbc materials. If you can read a bbc article or listen to a bbc podcast in such language, you will get 3s. The vocabularies and sentence structures are very formal. Being a native speaker won't get you 3s, perhaps 2+ only.

BTW, the Army will pay the max of $1,000 extra per month for your fluency in critical needed languages. You need to score at least 2 on both listening and reading to qualify for this bonus.

I earn $600 extra per month by scoring 3s for both listening and reading in two emerging critical languages.

Basically, the test materials are based on bbc materials. If you can read a bbc article or listen to a bbc podcast in such language, you will get 3s. The vocabularies and sentence structures are very formal. Being a native speaker won't get you 3s, perhaps 2+ only.
Good to know. Thank you :) I'll get going on my bbc readings to brush up. Thanks !!