Best time to take the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blcopp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I want to take the DAT early enough (April-May) to where my application is in the first batch (from my understanding that is best). However, I plan on using the DAT study schedule that was posted on this site. That will require a lot of commitment and time so I wanted to study hard for 8 weeks over the summer but then I wouldn't be able to take the DAT until August. What did you guys do? Did you take a light load of classes in the spring and also study for the DAT at the same time?

Thanks.

edit: I just realized there is a DAT subforum. Hopefully I can still get help here or it can be moved.

Members don't see this ad.

Summer after sophomore year.

When you feel most comfortable with the material.

That being said, the earlier you take it, the more time you have to prepare if you aren't happy with your score. Most people do complete organic chemistry after sophomore year so the summer following is usually the best time to take it since the material should be still relatively familiar.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I found it really helpful to wait until after I'd taken Physiology, Biochem, and Invertebrate Zoology (my junior year), and I took it over this past summer (summer between junior and senior year). The risky part about this is that you HAVE TO do well or else you're going to be out for the cycle.

However, even without courses like those, you can still learn the material fairly well through DAT prep programs. Taking it after sophomore year is probably your best bet (this also frees up time after you junior year for internships). Just thought I'd add a slightly different view if you were looking into different options.

Yeah I will be taking it after Ochem. Thanks for the responses guys they were helpful. My cousin who is attending dental school this fall studied over her winter break (6 weeks from dec-jan) and took the DAT in Feb. That is an option I am also considering so I won't have any classes during my studying for the DAT and I would be able to apply early.

I started studying in the Fall. Study little by little taking a practice exam once a month. Go hard during breaks; Winter, Spring etc. And then I took it in May and did very well. Slow and steady my friend. Worked for me at least.

Summer after sophomore year.

This.

If you can't, try winter session.

If that doesn't work, early summer.