Best time to write letters of intent...is it too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nahom

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that anytime between mid jan and mid feb is a good time to write "love letters" but my friend said they should have all been sent out the DAY the ranking opened, since some PD's like to finalize their rank list literally within the first day or two. This might just be classic med student hysteria, I'm not sure.

1. I was gone on 3 interviews last week and haven't written any letters of intent, but plan on doing so today. Is it still a good time?

PS I didn't write any "thank you emails" right after interviewing. Literally every time someone asks this on SDN, the answer from people that actually are part of the residency interviewing process says it doesn't matter.
2. Do you think its likely this will hurt me?

3. Just to be clear it IS ok and normal to tell your #1 program that they are your #1 right?

4. I was planning on writing my top choice saying "you are my number 1" and then writing all others telling them what I liked about their program, using more vague language. Is this appropriate?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It is classic med student hysteria.
You're welcome.

Thanks, thats just what I needed to hear!
Do you have any insight you can give me on the few other related questions I posted? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you write 'you're my number 1' the program will assume you wrote that to every program.

If you don't write 'you're my number 1' the program will assume you didn't rank them high.

Just don't send letters.

(Fruit basket were appreciated though)

"Letters of intent", "letters of interest", "you're my number one" DO NOT MATTER FOR RANKING AT ALL. Thus it doesn't matter if you send them in January or in March.

Reactions: 1 user
Fwiw I've had residents involved in the interviewing and ranking meetings say it does matter. These were residents I worked with closely on subi's.

I also had a PD at a program I did a subi at tell me it matters and I should send one to my top program.

Reactions: 3 users
Fwiw I've had residents involved in the interviewing and ranking meetings say it does matter. These were residents I worked with closely on subi's.

I also had a PD at a program I did a subi at tell me it matters and I should send one to my top program.

Ugh, is it mostly that they don’t want to go too far down their rank list? I honestly hate this whole post-interview communication thing and really appreciate the programs that flat out said it doesn’t matter. I think they should pick whoever they liked best and we should do the same. Also, you can tell during the interviews which applicants are truly excited about your program. I wasn’t planning on sending “you’re my number one” but now I’m questioning myself... also, still trying to figure out my top program.

Guys, I understand that this time is nerve-wracking but you're gonna be fine. I only sent thank you notes and "you're my number one" to the program I ranked first - and I didn't match there. Instead, I matched at a great program that is actually a much better fit for me for so many reasons and where I'm really happy (and I'm not a bright-eyed bushy-tailed kind of person that's happy anywhere haha). By contrast, I now understand that the program I ranked first, while still a great program, would have been an awful fit for me and I would have been miserable there. Hindsight 20:20, but luckily the Match gods spared me.

It's just a personal anecdote, but what I'm saying is, things are gonna be alright whether you send any letters or not and even whether you match at your number one or not. You've already made the choice that matters by choosing psychiatry, now breathe.

(And, for what it's worth, I participate in my program's recruitment this year, and letters really don't matter at all for ranking.)

Guys, I understand that this time is nerve-wracking but you're gonna be fine. I only sent thank you notes and "you're my number one" to the program I ranked first - and I didn't match there. Instead, I matched at a great program that is actually a much better fit for me for so many reasons and where I'm really happy (and I'm not a bright-eyed bushy-tailed kind of person that's happy anywhere haha). By contrast, I now understand that the program I ranked first, while still a great program, would have been an awful fit for me and I would have been miserable there. Hindsight 20:20, but luckily the Match gods spared me.

Thanks for sharing anecdotes like this. Even if it's an n=1, it is also reassuring to know that you can match at a program even if you don't send them the "you're my #1" email!

Thanks for sharing anecdotes like this. Even if it's an n=1, it is also reassuring to know that you can match at a program even if you don't send them the "you're my #1" email!
People can and *do* match at great programs without sending any emails whatsoever.

Reactions: 1 users
But those fruit baskets certainly help things along!

:p

I was under the impression that anytime between mid jan and mid feb is a good time to write "love letters" but my friend said they should have all been sent out the DAY the ranking opened, since some PD's like to finalize their rank list literally within the first day or two. This might just be classic med student hysteria, I'm not sure.

1. I was gone on 3 interviews last week and haven't written any letters of intent, but plan on doing so today. Is it still a good time?

PS I didn't write any "thank you emails" right after interviewing. Literally every time someone asks this on SDN, the answer from people that actually are part of the residency interviewing process says it doesn't matter.
2. Do you think its likely this will hurt me?

3. Just to be clear it IS ok and normal to tell your #1 program that they are your #1 right?

4. I was planning on writing my top choice saying "you are my number 1" and then writing all others telling them what I liked about their program, using more vague language. Is this appropriate?

Thanks!

1) Sure
2) No
3) I doubt it will hurt you unless you put the wrong program name in the email
4) Do this if it makes you feel good but literally no one will care as you could (or will) be sending "I like your program but I don't like it THAT much" to every program on your list.

"Please write your letter of intent on the back of a $100 bill and mail it to....."

Reactions: 4 users
Just don't make the mistake I made; love letters are apparently not supposed to be too erotically charged.

Just don't make the mistake I made; love letters are apparently not supposed to be too erotically charged.
Maybe paraphilia and sexual disorders are big deals at that program...