Best top 5 Neurology residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Most of my life epiphanies and revelations have happened during intensive time spent in the crapper.
Truth.

Members don't see this ad.

If you haven't seen it yet, Doximity has polled all board-certified neurologists to create a list of the best neurology residency programs.
https://www.doximity.com/residency_navigator/programs#residency_specialty_id=47
If you don't have a doximity account, here is the top 20 list:
1. Partner's - Harvard
2. UCSF
3. Johns Hopkins
4. Mayo Clinic - Rochester
5. Columbia
6. U Penn
7. Wash U
8. UCLA
9. Cleveland Clinic
10. U Michigan
11. Stanford
12. Beth Israel - Harvard
13. U Rochester
14. NYU
15. Mayo clinic - Arizona
16. Mayo Clinic - Florida
17. UT Southwestern
18. Emory
19. Mount Sinai
20. NY - Cornell

Of course, this list has its problems too. This might be a list of best name recognition or a list of which program have the most alumni who use doximity. For example, U Michigan and the two satellite Mayo programs probably don't belong here (but you could debate it). These are all good programs worthy of mention. This list at least has more validity than nerdologist's personal opinions.

If you click on the Doximity link View Methodology ( https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.doximit...ty_Residency_Navigator_Survey_Methodology.pdf ) they state:
"Programs that appear in Residency Navigator results beyond the public Top 10 view are not officially ranked at this time. For example: there is no such thing as the “No. 15” best internal medicine
residency program for 2014."

If you were to look at this rank list (for it's little value), they have not ranked anything past 10, so your list is not correct. I just wanted to make sure people know this, in case someone plans to make decisions based on these rankings. Just to repeat, there are no rankings past #10, the programs are in no particular order past number 10.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stop bumping this horrendous thread... for the love of Charcot!

Reactions: 1 user
Official 2015-2016 Neurology Residency Rankings

1st group

Partners
UCSF
Hopkins
Columbia

2nd group
UPenn
Stanford
WashU- St Louis
Miami

3rd group
Mayo-Rochester
UCLA
Duke
Yale

4th group
BIDMC
Emory
UPitt
University of Virginia

5th group
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Mt. Sinai
Cleveland Clinic

6th group
Cornell
University of Washington
MUSC
Baylor

7th group
NYU
University of Rochester
Case Western
University of Michigan

8th group
OHSU
University of Alabama
University of North Carolina
Rush

9th group
Georgetown
UC San Diego
University of Maryland
UT Houston

10th group
University of Iowa
University of Colorado
Brown
Wake Forest

LOL how is this in anyway official. I would disagree heavily with this list. I am not a fan of the doximity rankings, but at least those make some sense and have peer review information.

Why does each group contain 4 programs? I'm certain it wasn't arbitrary...wait. Wait wait wait.

10 groups, 4 programs per group. 4+10 = 14.

14 + 40 programs on the list = 54.

Yanni was born in 1954. Yanni's music is outdated. Therefore...

This method of ranking programs is outdated. QED.

The truth is in the numbers. Wake up, sheeple.

Reactions: 3 users
As controversial as his list is, we have to admit that it does get the conversation on programs stirring.

Every program on that list is a fantastic program anyways.

Last edited:
Nerdologist, I think the community would like a defense of your list. I personally think your ranked some too high and some too low. Remember while there is no perfect program for everyone, there is likely a perfect program for you if you look.

Why do we go through this every year? Why do people insist on bumping this thread? How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Is this a joke (nerdologist). You keep posting the same list every year and labeling it the "official" ranking list. How can you best residency list remain unchanged for 5 years. The thread should be removed and incinerated.
Since nerdologist insists on putting us through this.....
The new doximity residency program lists are available at this link
https://www.doximity.com/residency_navigator/programs#residency_specialty_id=47

I won't reproduce the list here. The list can be sorted in a number of ways and filtered by region so it is a good resource.
The reputation ranking shows you the top 10, but if you log in to doximity (free) you can see the whole list
Some of nerdologist's top 10 don't even make it in the top 25 on doximity. Supporting the idea that his/her list is outdated and worthless.

Again, please stop posting it.

Here's another list you might like.
The AAN has an annual award for outstanding residency program directors so this might actually be a list of good programs, based on having a great PD. I'll leave it to you to match up the program director with their program.
Recipient History
2014 Deborah Young Bradshaw, MD; Zachary N. London, MD
2013 Christopher J. Boes, MD; Steven Vernino, MD, PhD, FAAN
2012 Jaffar Khan, MD, FAAN; Patrick S. Reynolds, MD
2011 Blair Ford, MD, FAAN; David J. Capobianco, MD, FAAN
2010 John W. Engstrom, MD, FAAN; Noor A. Pirzada, MD
2009 Ralph F. Jozefowicz, MD, FAAN; Joel C. Morgenlander, MD, FAAN

Members don't see this ad :)
What if Morpheus told you there is no list?

I ask you all the following: "What is [the] real [rank order for top neurology programs]? How do you define 'real'? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain."

P.S. At the very least, we know where BrainNOLA would rank Tulane as a program.

This thread is a complete joke. How can people rank programs unless they have been through the program or have at least significant experience with the program. You're asking people who have never even been to the city or interviewed any of the graduates to rank programs.

I have first hand experience with some of the "highly ranked" programs, and I can tell you that some of the listings are completely absurd (i.e. a lot of the residents are very unhappy and complain of a poor experience at these "highly ranked" programs). I won't name any names, but you can PM me if you want to, and I will tell you.

My general opinion is that the more "highly ranked" a program is, the worse it actually is because they have no incentive to get a good reputation in order to attract candidates. Medical students and generally short-sighted and simply want to go to a "big name" program. That is why lists like these are so stagnant. If Harvard gets a horrible program director or a few of the better teaching attendings leave, will the ranking drop? Of not...because the ranking isn't based on anything.

Also, a lot of the "highly ranked" programs are simply programs with a strong basic science research program which has little to do with the vescicitudes of residency.

-soul

This thread is a complete joke. How can people rank programs unless they have been through the program or have at least significant experience with the program. You're asking people who have never even been to the city or interviewed any of the graduates to rank programs.

-soul

To be honest, the only person doing the "ranking" on this thread for the last several years has been Nerdologist. And he doesn't ever step in to defend it. So I would take it more like a long-con extended troll job than anything else. It doesn't really hurt anyone, and in reality it does get people talking about exactly the issues you raised.

This thread is completely vague. Top residencies for what end point/ outcome exactly? Oh well whatever, Nevermind.

Hello,

I am a student applying for neurology soon and was hoping to ask for some guidance. Having read through this discussion I think I generally have an idea of some of the high end programs as well as a through understanding that there is not and cannot be a definitive rank list of residencies. What I wanted to ask for is how might one go about deciding which programs would be a good fit for them even before interviewing so they can have a better idea where to apply, especially not knowing what I may choose to do long term in neurology. How did you pick your residency for example so I can see some of the things considered,
What programs have a particularly toxic reputation or may suddenly be in disarray, something that’s hard to determine before actually going some where to interview.
The reason I think this forum keeping coming back is because it’s found in the Neurology FAQ on determining a residency.

Thank you all.

Hello,

I am a student applying for neurology soon and was hoping to ask for some guidance. Having read through this discussion I think I generally have an idea of some of the high end programs as well as a through understanding that there is not and cannot be a definitive rank list of residencies. What I wanted to ask for is how might one go about deciding which programs would be a good fit for them even before interviewing so they can have a better idea where to apply, especially not knowing what I may choose to do long term in neurology. How did you pick your residency for example so I can see some of the things considered,
What programs have a particularly toxic reputation or may suddenly be in disarray, something that’s hard to determine before actually going some where to interview.
The reason I think this forum keeping coming back is because it’s found in the Neurology FAQ on determining a residency.

Thank you all.

It really is dependent on your interests - do you wanna train at a large academic center with lots of research, mid-tier academic with QI projects, community hospitals with international opportunities, new program where you create the culture of the program or well-established... I would say before going into interview season, have top 10 in mind that you would be happy with including type of practice, what you hope to gain from residency, faculty, location and salary and then just bump things up and down depending on how interviews go

Hahahaha. How I've missed this thread. I'll be eagerly awaiting nerdologist's next post for the official neurology residency rankings of 2019-2020