best type of academic recommendation? science or non?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sailing09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many of the DPT schools I am applying to in December require an academic recommendation. Who do you think it is best to get it from? Would it be to weak to get it from a Developmental Psych professor or should I choose a professor from the science prerequisites? Psych is also a prerequisite for the schools. I am just not sure if psych represents a softer (easier) subject.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure others will chime in, but for my academic LOR, I had a finance professor write one for me and ended up getting into two solid programs. But remember, some programs do require you to get a LOR from a professor in your major. So, if you majored in chemistry, for example, I assume that they'd want a letter from a prof in that department.

Definitely go with a science instructor if possible; an A&P instructor would obviously be the best in my opinion. And some advice, if you apply thru PTCAS (most likely you will), without a doubt have the person do the online submission of your LOR. I obviously wanted to get the best grade possible in A&P I last summer, but I tried even harder just to have my instructor write me a good LOR...so got an A, had him send it snail mail, and PTCAS "said" they never got it, along with my LOR from a PT (and why not add they never got 2 of my transcripts either)...grrr...Had to have the pt resubmit it, and my A&P prof never responded to me again (harsh retired doctor who prob. thought I was an idiot after that). So in short, don't leave it up to PTCAS or the mailman to get that stuff in. It's already a daunting enough task w/o all the bs excuses. Good luck!

I would say get it from whoever you think will write you a better recommendation. I ended up having one from a biomechanics/rehabilitation engineering professor, one from my advisor in my research lab, one from my boss, and one from a PT that I observed.