Best way to decline an acceptance after...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dradams

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to decline an acceptance from a school after you have already accepted the spot earlier in the application cycle? I got accepted to a school pretty early on in the process and said I was going there and just yesterday got accepted to my first choice school. Should I call the first school, email, write a letter, or what informing them that I wish to withdraw my original acceptance?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

dradams said:
What is the best way to decline an acceptance from a school after you have already accepted the spot earlier in the application cycle? I got accepted to a school pretty early on in the process and said I was going there and just yesterday got accepted to my first choice school. Should I call the first school, email, write a letter, or what informing them that I wish to withdraw my original acceptance?

Thanks.

I wrote an e-mail to the Admissions Office of one school asking how I should decline my acceptance (i had previously accepted the acceptance). They e-mailed me back saying the e-mail would suffice, and I later received an official letter acknowledging that I declined the acceptance. Therefore, I think e-mail is an appropriate venue. Just say that you really liked their school, but unfortunately, you need to decline your acceptance.

Word, Tink. These admissions committees are so freegin busy right now, they'll get yer email or letter and be like "Oh, OK, he/she was pleasant and isn't coming." and that's it. If you think they have the time or presence of mind to trip on it at all, or mull over exactly how you phrased it, or feel sad and dejected, then you're gettin worked up over nuthin. Be business-like polite, and do it quick and dirty. Just make sure it's in writing (email or letter).

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, thanks. I'll do that.

Dear XYZ school,

Due to the great number of acceptances I have received, my school selection committee (Jack Daniels+dart board) has determined that what your school has to offer me is no longer competitive to secure me in your incoming class. I realize that I have shown considerable interest in attending your school by previously accepting a seat in your class, and this may have adverse effects on your ability to further recruit highly qualified students to your school. I liken this however, to the process of medical schools foregoing a legitimate screening process and sending both competitive and non-competitive students time consuming secondary applications and budget depleting application fees. Frankly, I never had any true intent of attending your school. I am sure you will succeed in your pursuit, as you certainly have potential, to find qaulified individuals to fill the remaining seats in your next class. :luck: (yes, i would incorporate emoticons too)

Sincerely,
dradams

doogyhowser said:
Dear XYZ school,

Due to the great number of acceptances I have received, my school selection committee (Jack Daniels+dart board) has determined that what your school has to offer me is no longer competitive to secure me in your incoming class. I realize that I have shown considerable interest in attending your school by previously accepting a seat in your class, and this may have adverse effects on your ability to further recruit highly qualified students to your school. I liken this however, to the process of medical schools foregoing a legitimate screening process and sending both competitive and non-competitive students time consuming secondary applications and budget depleting application fees. Frankly, I never had any true intent of attending your school. I am sure you will succeed in your pursuit, as you certainly have potential, to find qaulified individuals to fill the remaining seats in your next class. :luck: (yes, i would incorporate emoticons too)

Sincerely,
dradams

Hhahahahahahahahahahah! lol big time. Man, that is freekin hilarious. I'd love to send that to a school!

Still lol. Man is that some good material. Well done.

Funny. I would do that if I had opportunity at this point. Will do for the "don't call us, we'll call u SUNY" (Downstate) if I get off their waitlist.

doogyhowser said:
Dear XYZ school,

Sincerely,
dradams

Brilliant!

That's fantastic, doogy!

:D

yeah,

too bad i'll never get to use it :(