Best way to find a job at a vet clinic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fiona0601

UIUC 2027
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to get a job at a veterinary clinic? I've applied for multiple kennel attendant and vet assistant jobs on websites like Indeed or ZipRecruiter, but I've been denied every time (despite having the qualifications they were looking for). Are there other tactics for securing a position, or should I just keep applying to jobs I find online?

Members don't see this ad.

While you are applying I would volunteer in the mean time. Having basic knowledge will help you get your foot in the door :)

Present yourself as a pre-vet student and ask if you can shadow for a day. Minimal commitment on their part. If you feel it goes well, ask if you can return. I had a couple job offers that way ;)

And if you haven't already, have a few people look over your cover letter and resume (utilize your school's career center if they have one).

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Keep applying and try not to eliminate possibilities too quickly! I spent the entire summer applying for vet assistant jobs with only minimal shadowing experience. At the end of July I was starting to give up when I decided to apply to a clinic that posted a listing for full time VAs even though I knew I could only manage part time while still taking classes. When they reached out for an interview, I made it clear that I could only do part time and the manager was perfectly fine with it. I personally think that it was meant to be and I couldn't picture a better place to gain my veterinary experience!

Banfield almost always needs people, and they're willing to train. Go through their website directly to find the clinic closest to you.
I second this. You will get great training and, depending on your state's rules, will get lots of technician experience and get paid. Do not settle for a kennel tech position!!

My advice would be writing a cover letter along with your resume! My cover letter described my motivations behind wanting a job at a veterinary clinic and why I would be a good fit. I searched for available jobs on indeed then contacted to clinic directly, asked to speak with the hiring manager and either emailed my resume to the manager directly or gave it in person. I also think it helped to explain minimal pay was not a problem for me as I was after experience. I landed a job as a veterinary assistant then was promoted to technician in less than a year with no prior tech experience. I accomplished this by showing up early for shifts to "train" without being clocked in with the vet techs I befriended. Eventually they began asking me to do technician tasks as an assistant, so I had to advocate for myself to get promoted.

I just emailed every vet in my area and attached my resume and sort of introduced myself in the email and talked about my goals and stuff. Seemed to work well.