Best way to get from New York to Philadelphia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaraBovis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys, kinda new to the country, so-

-Which is the best way to get from New York (Manhattan) to Philadephia, somewhere close to the test center?
-How far is the test center from where this mode of transport drops you and which is the best way to get from here to the test center?
-Know any reasonable hotel to spend the night before the test, close to the center?
-Do you think it's feasible/advisable, to arrive directly at the test center, take the test and head back to New York without booking a place to stay at all?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Is this for the COMLEX Step 2 PE?

I would stay overnight and get a hotel room at the residence Inn which is down the block from the test center. I'd also advise just renting a car because taking cab's can get expensive.

Getting down from NYC to Philly I'd just take the bus, I drove a few weeks ago when I took it but if you don't have a car I'd take a bus and rent a car down there. You don't want to get there the morning of because something could happen in route and you could be delayed forcing you to arrive late and not sit for the exam at all plus you would be well rested in the morning if you stayed over night

Thanks both. I'm referring to the USMLE Step 2 CS exam.

If anyone has hotel/travel suggestions, please do post.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I took it back in April I stayed at the Sheraton University City Hotel, located 1 block from the test center. Since I had an evening appointment, I drove down the night before (rented a car), stayed overnight at the hotel, and drove back just after finishing the exam.

I booked hotel and car on Priceline.com - not the least expensive method, but it gave me a lot of flexibility...

Good luck with the exam...

I second staying the night before. In terms of getting there, I think the two least stress options are: (1) Amtrak (pricey); (2) NJ Transit to Trenton and then SEPTA to University City station (and then stay at that Sheraton mentioned above). You'll save a considerable amount of money on option 2, but the train takes longer and you have to transfer. Bring a book.

Last edited:
drive a car if you have one...stay the night before.

Car is easiest.

Bus is best on a budget. Can do megabus, boltbus, chinatown bus.

Amtrak is best if not on a budget.

Guys, kinda new to the country, so-

-Which is the best way to get from New York (Manhattan) to Philadephia, somewhere close to the test center?
-How far is the test center from where this mode of transport drops you and which is the best way to get from here to the test center?
-Know any reasonable hotel to spend the night before the test, close to the center?
-Do you think it's feasible/advisable, to arrive directly at the test center, take the test and head back to New York without booking a place to stay at all?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093748/

I second staying the night before. In terms of getting there, I think the two least stress options are: (1) Amtrak (pricey); (2) NJ Transit to Trenton and then SEPTA to University City station (and then stay at that Sheraton mentioned above). You'll save a considerable amount of money on option 2, but the train takes longer and you have to transfer. Bring a book.
:thumbup: thanks.

Did some search. Debating between SEPTA and MEGABUS. It seems at though both drop you at the 30th street station in Philadelphia which is at walking distance from both the testing centers there. Please confirm if this is correct.
I'm considering arriving directly at the center (and not staying overnight) since my date maybe finalized at a very short notice.

Edit: done the google maps etc.; want to be doubly sure.

Last edited:
:thumbup: thanks.

Did some search. Debating between SEPTA and MEGABUS. It seems at though both drop you at the 30th street station in Philadelphia which is at walking distance from both the testing centers there. Please confirm if this is correct.
I'm considering arriving directly at the center (and not staying overnight) since my date maybe finalized at a very short notice.

Edit: done the google maps etc.; want to be doubly sure.

Yea, totally within walking distance. Maybe 10-15 minutes? The two testing centers are right next to each other.

I'll be taking NJ transit+SEPTA and arriving on the test day. Do these services run on time? They seem to have a schedule specific to the minute, on their website.
Also, it seems that bookings aren't done online but at the station itself. Is non-availabilty of tickets ever an issue or is there always room, like on subways?
Does a separate ticket have to be purchased at SEPTA or do you get a through ticket at Penn Station?

I'm planning to return the same way as well, since if you have to purchase the tickets on the spot, there's time flexibility. When do you think an 8AM appointment typically ends?

Any idea if a MEGABUS ticket (return) can be bought on-the-spot and does megabus run from the same station as SEPTA (30th street Philadephia)?

Thanks a lot for the earlier replies.

When taking NJ Transit, you will be on the NorthEast Corridor which is one of the busiest in the country and almost always delayed for whatever reason. You need to give yourself plenty of time. You do not want to go into the test stressed out.

When you get to Penn Station in Manhattan you will need to go to the Kiosk and purchase your tickets there. If you go during rush hour, you will not be able to purchase a round trip ticket. Rather you will need to purchase 2 one way tickets. The first at the time you leave and the second when you are to return.

I would suggest, if you are taking the train, to get there the night before. No need to add more stress to an already stressful day.