General Admissions & OTCAS Best way to take A & P I & II?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ColorGuardLove

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I still need to take Anat and Phys I and II, and I am trying to figure out what the best route for taking it would be. Would I be crazy to do both I and II in 5 weeks each over the summer? I wasn't originally planning on doing it this way, but this may be my only option in order to be able to take both classes at the same school. Otherwise, I could take one over the span of a 12-week summer class at one location and then take the second one at another location (because we are moving) over the course of the whole regular fall semester. What would be the better option? Also, would schools look negatively upon the fact that I would have classes transferring in from four different schools (one from my freshman year, one from where I spent the following 3 1/2 years and earned my bachelor degree, plus two community colleges for prereqs) or do you think that will not make any difference? Also, do schools require that both I and II are taken at the same location? I just want to be able to do as well as possible and give myself the best opportunities for success. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I still need to take Anat and Phys I and II, and I am trying to figure out what the best route for taking it would be. Would I be crazy to do both I and II in 5 weeks each over the summer? I wasn't originally planning on doing it this way, but this may be my only option in order to be able to take both classes at the same school. Otherwise, I could take one over the span of a 12-week summer class at one location and then take the second one at another location (because we are moving) over the course of the whole regular fall semester. What would be the better option? Also, would schools look negatively upon the fact that I would have classes transferring in from four different schools (one from my freshman year, one from where I spent the following 3 1/2 years and earned my bachelor degree, plus two community colleges for prereqs) or do you think that will not make any difference? Also, do schools require that both I and II are taken at the same location? I just want to be able to do as well as possible and give myself the best opportunities for success. Thanks!!

I took A&P I and II last summer. Each session was 5 weeks I think. I've never had to work so hard in my life, but I feel like it was totally worth it. I just took it at a community college and my teacher jam packed everything from a regular semester into those 5 weeks. You have to be totally dedicated and committed to studying if you're going to do it that way. For me I had class every day from 8-10:30 except Friday and then lab two days a week from 11-2:30. Some schools require that you take A&P I and II back to back, so just check with each school. I'm in the same boat as you with credits transferring from so many schools. I submitted 5 transcripts for OTCAS. I don't think it really matters as long as you've taken all the classes you need.

I, personally, would not take A&P I at one school, and A & P II at another. Different schools will vary in the content of I and II (some may do nervous system, etc in A&P I and respiratory, etc in A&P II, or vice versa). Since it is a sequential class, you should take both I and II at the same place. I'm not sure if graduate programs require they are taken at the same school, but schools may not let you take A&P II at a different school if you don't have their prereq of A&P I. It may be possible though...and if its what works for you, try your best to work something out with the schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the ideas! I think I am going to try to take A & P I in the summer in a hopefully 10- or 12-week format (Not sure yet how it will be offered for the summer semester), plus a couple of other prereqs, and then I will hopefully be able to take A & P II in the fall through the same school but in a hybrid format where I would only have to go to the campus (about a 2 1/2-3 hour drive after I move) one day a week and have the lecture and lab in the same day.

I made an adventure out of it and took both in Fairbanks, Alaska. The classes were Monday through Thursday, I shadowed all day Friday and I had time to explore some. It was great summer!