beta-blockers for USMLE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

i61164

Polar Bear, MD
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In a psych lecture today we were told that a study showed that students do better in the USMLE if they take a beta-blocker compared to placebo. I searched PUBMED but couldn't find the study. Has anyone seen this? Is this unethical or against any rules?

Members don't see this ad.

You cant make such a blanket statement. I am not familiar with the study you are refferring to but I am aware of some data on this and the use of betas for this but the huge factor is that there is only one population that this will improve scores on-people with severe test anxiety. For myself for example I am no super star on exams but when I get questions wrong it is because I did not know the answer cause I didnt study it enough-I either know it or I dont and do not get nervous whatsover. So for me a beta blocker would not help me and may even hurt me since it does "slow" you down both mentally and phsycially.
Compared to somebody who does terribly on tests cause of stress and cant stop shaking and draws blanks on every question due to nerves then sure it is obvious he woul succeed on beta blockers.
so all I am saying is the study would have to be really picky to be accurate to analyze the population carefully. Beta blockers are not like adderrall or something that would make everyone do a bit better cause of mental stimulation-betas arent mentally stimulating so I am sure they are not agaisnt any rules so long you are prescribed them

Are amphetamines against the rules officially in med school? Frowned upon? Encouraged?

Members don't see this ad :)
Psyclops said:
Are amphetamines against the rules officially in med school? Frowned upon? Encouraged?

In med school I bought my amphetamines exclusively from psychologists. I just felt so damn sorry for them, cause they were unable to make a decent living.

Every off ramp had a PhD with a sign, "Will MMPI for fud."

HAHA, that made me laugh. Where did you go LSU? NMSU?

Psyclops said:
HAHA, that made me laugh. Where did you go LSU? NMSU?

Of course buying from psychologists always included a HUGE mark-up. For some reason they couldn't understand the basic chemistry well enough to cook the meth themselves.

Essentially they were middlemen (women) for the high school drop outs peddlin the good smack. I loved Tuesdays. They'd always throw in a random projective test free with every quarter gram. It really gave me some good insight.

;)

Psyclops said:
Where did you go LSU? NMSU?

Private Jesuit University. I had a few sins for which I needed absolution.

Projective tests on speed. There's a thought...

I know a med student with test anxiety who takes beta blockers, and they helped her a lot. Kinda the same concept as beta blockers for performance anxiety.

I don't think beta blockers would be good for me on the usmle. Quite the contrary, I almost fell asleep during step 2 CK, it was so long and boring.

Chelated magnesium also works well -- natural beta-blocker. Some people also eat a bunch of bananas to ease performance anxiety.