Navy Bethesda adt lodging/transit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Akr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am I correct in assuming that public transit in Bethesda during a 4th-year away rotation is reimbursable? If so, are there any restrictions to that reimbursement?

From my understanding, we are to arrange our own lodging, as opposed to being required by default to stay at Navy Lodge or whatever other specific place. I'm trying to decide if it would be prudent to plan on staying with family (no rent + cheaper food, but ~45min commute to WRNMMC by public transit) rather than try for a govt-rate hotel room somewhat closer. Usually HPSP students have to pay for whatever lodging they find in Bethesda up-front, then later request reimbursement (minus tax), right?

Members don't see this ad.

Am I correct in assuming that public transit in Bethesda during a 4th-year away rotation is reimbursable? If so, are there any restrictions to that reimbursement?

From my understanding, we are to arrange our own lodging, as opposed to being required by default to stay at Navy Lodge or whatever other specific place. I'm trying to decide if it would be prudent to plan on staying with family (no rent + cheaper food, but ~45min commute to WRNMMC by public transit) rather than try for a govt-rate hotel room somewhat closer. Usually HPSP students have to pay for whatever lodging they find in Bethesda up-front, then later request reimbursement (minus tax), right?

You are required to check with the Navy Lodge for availability, however, if there are no rooms available (or if, as in my case, they cancel your reservation two days before the start of your ADT), you have to obtain a Certificate of Nonavailability from them to submit with your travel reimbursement package. With that in hand, you're clear to get lodging elsewhere; while I can't quite remember the details, the long and short of it is that this lodging should be commercial to be reimbursed. For example, I stayed at the Doubletree on Wisconsin Ave. for my rotation, which worked out just fine. The area hotels offer a government rate that will be pretty much what you will be reimbursed for lodging. You do have to pay for it upfront and then submit a request for reimbursement, HOWEVER, you can request an advance from the HPSP Travel Office in Building 1.

A lot depends on what time you'll need to be at WR in the morning; if it's particularly early, then you may not want to live with your 'rents, because you'll be trying to get in before the Metro opens.

Thanks! That really helps. I was kind of worried about a longer commute... and I suppose punctuality/sleep are worth paying more $ up front (possibly by loan) to get a closer location, if it's basically an audition rotation. Were you able to walk to & from the Double Tree? Sucks that they had cancelled your Navy Lodge reservation so last-minute! Good that it worked out anyway though :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! That really helps. I was kind of worried about a longer commute... and I suppose punctuality/sleep are worth paying more $ up front (possibly by loan) to get a closer location, if it's basically an audition rotation. Were you able to walk to & from the Double Tree? Sucks that they had cancelled your Navy Lodge reservation so last-minute! Good that it worked out anyway though :)

Yep. It was actually a nice walk every morning. I'd say about a half-mile each way. There's a Beni Hana's kitty corner from the hotel, and an awesome Mexican joint next door.

Awesome!! Really starting to look forward to this away now!!