BFA Hons. in Dance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

graham_cracker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new to SDN. I've read up on some really helpful posts on this forum regarding med-school applications. After 3 years of traveling and living abroad and currently working as a professional dancer, I've decided to returning to Uni in september to complete my degree (BFA-Bachelor of fine arts, with honours in dance). I've worked with children living with HIV in Thailand with other artists and musicians, and have seen broken health care systems in many Asian countries, which made me consider medicine as a career. I've also tried teaching dance abroad and found out how much I hated teaching and working with young children. I felt very lost after coming home to Canada, and was looking for an alternative career/going back to school. I wanted something that involved high stress, being on your feet all the time, I wanted to continue to work with the body, a career that's hands on and crafty involving physical practise (like surgery), and also with enough peer competition to keep me engaged (I can get bored very quickly). I would literally collapse and die if I had to work an office from 9-5 with a set schedule, or sit in front of a computer (props to those who can do it)!

Anyhow, I will be starting 3rd year in September and will be getting into all the pre-requisite classes, and I'm currently reviewing all my high school sciences (bio, chem, physics, and maths) where I've managed to achieve a 92% average across. I know most people sit their MCAT after third year uni, but I don't think I will be ready for the summer of 2016 so I might have to take it after my last year. I would like to know if there're anyone on here who are in similar situations? Applying to medical school with a BFA especially from the performing arts? Also, anyone with suggestions regarding MCAT taking, whether you think with 1 year or 1 and a half year of university hard sciences is enough? I know I shouldn't rush things, but I'll be 26 going into third year, and if I wait another year it'll mean I would enter med school when I'm 29 (if I can get in)... That's why I want to try and see if I can sit the exam after third year like everyone els, and try applying in my fourth year... Any suggestions/comments/advice would be amazing!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you studying in the US or Canada? Citizenship and/or residency in the US or Canada?

Citizenship is Canadian, will try Canadian schools (I know it's nearly impossible to get in, even with a 4.0GPA and a perfect MCAT score...). Will try for some American schools as well I think, but I would really love to go back to Australia/practise there because I lived there for 2 years before coming back to Canada.

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to SDN. This is site is more focused on process of getting into American med schools. There are some US med schools that will take Canadians without US residency or citizenship. There is a small Canada sub-forum on SDN too.

There is a more Canadian focused site: http://forums.premed101.com/ .

If you really want to go to Australia, you can go there for med school, which may make more sense coming from Canada than the US, given how crazy competitive both med school and residency is in Canada.