Big 4 in the caribbean vs DO schools stats....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Temperature101

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see some posts on valuemd.com that say if you can can get into the big 4 (SGU, ROSS, AUC, SABA) medical schools in the caribbean, you should have no problem getting into DO schools. How true is that? If that true, why would US students even venture going to these schools instead of DO school since I keep hearing that the attrition rate of these schools are so high and students who make it have a hard time finding residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

I see some posts on valuemd.com that say if you can can get into the big 4 (SGU, ROSS, AUC, SABA) medical schools in the caribbean, you should have no problem getting into DO schools. How true is that? If that true, why would US students even venture going to these schools instead of DO school since I keep hearing that the attrition rate of these schools are so high and students who make it have a hard time finding residencies?
Why are you on valuemd.com?

And to answer your question before it devolves in a clusterchuck, no, DO schools have higher accepting stats.

First, I doubt that people who can get into the "big 4" have the same stats as an average DO student. Even if I am wrong, people who choose the big 4 over DO probably do so because they care about the initials behind their name more than quality of training.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude there is no way in hell their stats are as high. Thats just people on valuemd with an inferiority complex putting up an ego defense so they dont feel like $hit about having to go to the caribbean.

That being said. I forget who, but someone made a great thread about this very issue somewhere in the pre DO forum. I suggest you search it out. This topic has been covered like 100s of times on this forum.

The Caribbean has nice beaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Yes there is a high attrition rate. The rest of the argument... No.

Moving on.

There is some person on SDN that chose SGU over CCOM after doing an SMP... They said that SGU averaged 3.5/28, but who knows if that's true or not.

There is some person on SDN that chose SGU over CCOM after doing an SMP... They said that SGU averaged 3.5/28, but who knows if that's true or not.

If their stats were that high their students wouldnt have a 75% attrition rate. Most high tier DO schools have means around those levels if not a little lower and like 97% of their students graduate. So unless some sort of loophole exists in the caribbean that makes medicine much harder than in the states.....their students just arent strong enough academically to handle med school.

Reactions: 1 user
a quick search would answer your questions and more.
do
not
feed
the
troll

I have a friend that went to AUC that told me a 2.7-2.8 was enough to get in, and when I was contacted by SGU last year, they told me > 3.0 science GPA almost always results in an acceptance. Most of the inflated stats shown by AUC and SGU are because of Canadians that couldn't make it into their medical schools with a 3.6/33.

Reactions: 1 user
I was accepted to sgu n Ross

They take in to account senior high school marks for their gpa

It's a joke....

The expansion of new DO school and patient education of the DO degree means FMG will be outta bussiness asap

Also I ewes accepted to all island school

And only a quarter of DO schools

Members don't see this ad :)
I would encourage everyone here to go to the carribean over DO. Enjoy their nice beaches, places to eat, ability to tan during study time, etc. Don't even consider DO. Go straight to the carribean (for the upcoming cycle). The big four are amazing, arguably better than some american MD schools.

And im not just saying that because im applying strictly DO next cycle and want to thin out the competition.

Well..yes i am.

Reactions: 1 users
I would encourage everyone here to go to the carribean over DO. Enjoy their nice beaches, places to eat, ability to tan during study time, etc. Don't even consider DO. Go straight to the carribean (for the upcoming cycle). The big four are amazing, arguably better than some american MD schools..

I heartily endorse this recommendation for all inquiries that mention a Caribbean school.

I would encourage everyone here to go to the carribean over DO. Enjoy their nice beaches, places to eat, ability to tan during study time, etc. Don't even consider DO. Go straight to the carribean (for the upcoming cycle). The big four are amazing, arguably better than some american MD schools.

And im not just saying that because im applying strictly DO next cycle and want to thin out the competition.

Well..yes i am.

+1 And actually for anyone thinking about applying U.S. MD or DO, please instead choose the Caribbean. Thanks! ;)

Well..yes i am.

if you watch some of the Ross U. youtube videos a bunch of the students brag about how they got all these experiences you never get at a US school, and how Ross Students are much more hands on and prepared than US students. They also brag that their professors came to Ross because they thought it was a better school and environment for students. I laughed. So Hard.

Not this topic AGAIN

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO, Caribbean schools are not better than America DO schools

One more time..... NOOOOO. If you cant figure out why, you shouldn't be able to get into either

I have a friend that went to AUC that told me a 2.7-2.8 was enough to get in, and when I was contacted by SGU last year, they told me > 3.0 science GPA almost always results in an acceptance. Most of the inflated stats shown by AUC and SGU are because of Canadians that couldn't make it into their medical schools with a 3.6/33.

This is VERY true yet sad. Canadians aren't aware of the DO option, fortunately that is changing. Also there is some sort of misconception at Canadian schools that you need a 3.7 and 35 MCAT to get into a US MD school. So many just apply to straight to Caribbean without researching US MD or US DO schools.

Well..yes i am.

This^

This is VERY true yet sad. Canadians aren't aware of the DO option, fortunately that is changing. Also there is some sort of misconception at Canadian schools that you need a 3.7 and 35 MCAT to get into a US MD school. So many just apply to straight to Caribbean without researching US MD or US DO schools.

Maybe not a 35, but a 33 easily. That being said I think Canadians usually get into their residencies from SGU or AUC with less hassle than US IMGs, so for them it's not too horrible an option.

If I read one more slander-filled comment about the Caribbean without any factual data cited, im going to vomit.
The reason why US med students dont like Caribbean students is because your nepotistic MD parent told you to be that way. Heres a fact.

US Med students= higher GPA, higher MCAT, lots of Aderol and no personality or friends.

Caribbean Med students=lower GPA, lower MCAT, and our future patients like us more than you.

I hope this was sarcasm.

this.

I remember reading somewhere that Ross posted stats around the 3.3 and 26 range. I dont know if they are truthful about that tho, but it seems that someone could snag an osteopathic acceptance somewhere with those numbers and good ECs. Is this completely off base?

I have a family friend going to the Caribbean this year because her dad went there, and he is a practicing cardiologist. So I mean I guess that it can work out in the end.

I would still try and avoid the islands if at all possible.

I agree. Avoid the islands because although all medical education is a business, they have turned the whole system to a money-making machine that is built on the backs of failing students.

I have plenty of friends who went to the islands. They were very smart too and would definitely have gotten into a DO school if they tried (or were aware of the option). My opinion is that Carribean schools have comparable basic science education to US MD / DO schools...it's just that for every qualified applicant that managed to slip through the cracks in applying US MD they admit 4 clueless people who will fail out of 1st year. Which is fine, because the schools get to keep their tuition. Is it a predatory practice done by for-profit schools? Maybe. But you can say that they are at least giving people a chance to "buy" their dream of medicine. Personally that is why I think RVU is being so picky this year...they want to dispel the notion that they are a for-profit Carribean school in the US that accepts subpar students (The family that runs the school also runs AUC). Please know that I think RVU is a good school, but that is the biased viewpoint that I think many SDNers have of it.

Guess what happens to those qualified applicants? They go on to get residencies like the rest of residency applicants, because they would have done well anywhere. The people who really have a hard time are people who did avg on boards, grades, etc. But if you look at match lists for the big 4 and even at smaller schools (Spartan, MUA, etc.) there are a lot of IMs at big academic centers and even some specialties like surg, anes, etc.

Last edited:
Medical is mostly based on individual's performance. Schools are important but only to a degree. Caribbean schools have lower requirement but still offers good education. I'd have no regret if that is option for me, better than just staying home and get nowhere.

Medical is mostly based on individual's performance. Schools are important but only to a degree. Caribbean schools have lower requirement but still offers good education. I'd have no regret if that is option for me, better than just staying home and get nowhere.

DOs are more competitive in the match than FMGs

REZZIDDDENNCY CRUNCH is not just a cereal brand for Carib students...

for those that cant get into DO...the Caribbean is a legitimate option

I'd go Carib but only after at least two attempts at DO and a post-bacc. The truth is that someone who attends a medical school in the states is favored more than a IMG/FMG.

That being said, I work with many physicians who are IMG/FMG and it's a non-issue. The biggest consideration is residency placement. In fact, that may be the only real concern about going to a Carib medical school.

REZZIDDDENNCY CRUNCH is not just a cereal brand for Carib students...

Oh enough about the residency shortage. There will be plenty of family med programs to service the med students, heck, half of the doctors in my town got their degrees from India and are practicing just fine internal medicine, had no problem.

A TON of people who fail to get into medical school here in the states end up going to the Caribbean at my undergrad. Frankly, I think it is silly to not try out for a DO school, since going the osteopath route gives you more lucrative options with surgery, but I think Caribbean schools are just fine getting a residency SOMEWHERE. Maybe not in that ENT surgery center, but I can deff see internal medicine being a viable possibility.

Chances of each student matching at a competitive residency.

USMD: Unlikely
USDO: Not going to happen
FMG: Kaplan MCAT teacher

But seriously.. why disadvantage yourself more than necessary by going to the Carib?

Chances of each student matching at a competitive residency.

USMD: Unlikely
USDO: Not going to happen
FMG: Kaplan MCAT teacher

But seriously.. why disadvantage yourself more than necessary by going to the Carib?

you can still match into a competitive specialty as a DO, like ENT or plastics, but as far as top ranked residency, yeah not prolly gonna happen.

you can still match into a competitive specialty as a DO, like ENT or plastics, but as far as top ranked residency, yeah not prolly gonna happen.

It was an exaggerated point and I thought the "Kaplan MCAT teacher" was enough of a hint. The point is that USMD students have a hard enough time matching somewhere competitive.

Oh enough about the residency shortage. There will be plenty of family med programs to service the med students, heck, half of the doctors in my town got their degrees from India and are practicing just fine internal medicine, had no problem.

A TON of people who fail to get into medical school here in the states end up going to the Caribbean at my undergrad. Frankly, I think it is silly to not try out for a DO school, since going the osteopath route gives you more lucrative options with surgery, but I think Caribbean schools are just fine getting a residency SOMEWHERE. Maybe not in that ENT surgery center, but I can deff see internal medicine being a viable possibility.

Sure, but the numbers will be small and tight. So please risk 200k for that....

It was an exaggerated point and I thought the "Kaplan MCAT teacher" was enough of a hint. The point is that USMD students have a hard enough time matching somewhere competitive.

Depends on what your opinion of competitive is.... For DO it is upper mid level, for MD it is top 20 schools..

I got into both of the top 2 Caribbean schools but I would only consider it as a last case resort, after applying two cycles in U.S. Fingers crossed for DO ii's !!!!! :xf:

If you can't get into DO you probably can't get into CaribMD..

Wha? Maybe it's true for SGU and one or two schools.

Some Carib schools don't even look at MCAT scores and take people with around a 2.5 GPA (or even lower). If you go to valuemd many students share their stats.

Last edited:
Wha? Maybe it's true for SGU and one or two schools.

Some Carib schools don't even look at MCAT scores and take people with around a 2.5 GPA (or even lower). If you go to valuemd many student share their stats.

True story, my friend went to a school that doesn't even require an MCAT. :smack:

DOs are more competitive in the match than FMGs

this isnt necessarily true. at wash u they have a few foreign grads each year and they do not accept DOs into the residency program. to be fair i have no idea how wash u ranks residency wise but just my 2 cents

you only need around a 3.00/3.00/25 to get into DO these days with all the new schools popping up.

you only need around a 3.00/3.00/25 to get into DO these days with all the new schools popping up.

completely untrue, most that get in with those numbers have really good ECs and that's why they get interviews because they stand out from other applicants. Ive seen everyone from chief ed scribes to people with 4.0 MS biomed, to 5+ year paramedics interview at acom that made up for a low mcat or gpa. And the matriculant average is still around a 3.45/3.39 26.5. If you think you can apply with a 3.0/25 and have mediocre ECs you are in for an unpleasant surprise.

1. With same scores, it is 100% true. DO > than Caribbean

2. Wait, Wash U doesnt accept DO's? Hmmmm... Somebody better let this guy know.

http://neuro.wustl.edu/education/pmrresidency/rehabilitationresidents

sorry. The peds program doesnt accept DOs. im not saying FMG > DO or DO>FMG. I'm going DO, both of my parents are FMGs. I was just saying that just because your education at a DO school is better and more structured than some foreign schools doesn't mean all residency programs will accept the DO degree. Plenty will though so for me DO makes more sense.

sorry. The peds program doesnt accept DOs. im not saying FMG > DO or DO>FMG. I'm going DO, both of my parents are FMGs. I was just saying that just because your education at a DO school is better and more structured than some foreign schools doesn't mean all residency programs will accept the DO degree. Plenty will though so for me DO makes more sense.

Doesn't =/= Hasn't and most importantly =/= Won't...not that it matters all that much in the first place.

this isnt necessarily true. at wash u they have a few foreign grads each year and they do not accept DOs into the residency program. to be fair i have no idea how wash u ranks residency wise but just my 2 cents

I work at washu and I have seen DO residents and hospitalists. Nice try though.

Also a few people at washu doesn't make fmg more competitive.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.