"big" name letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radoncmonkey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so, just wanted to admit that there must be some truth to the statement that letters from "big" names in the field help...because I got a call today from a school for an interview after the PD received the letter that was just sent by my "big name"...and believe me, they were not going to interview me before....just a little hope for those working hard to get "big" name letters

Members don't see this ad.

Obviously letters from a big name help. If the PD knows the letter writer personally and you get a great recommendation then you are sitting pretty.

However this field is so small that even if your department head or home PD are not the president of ASTRO other PDs probably know them. Plus I think the quality of the letter trumps a big name anyday.

Why, other radoncmonkey. did you send this letter out so late?

I don't know. When reviewing applicants this year, there were quite a few with LORs from the biggest names in Rad Onc. Not a single applicant was moved from the "no interview" pile to the "interview" pile because of one of these letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know. When reviewing applicants this year, there were quite a few with LORs from the biggest names in Rad Onc. Not a single applicant was moved from the "no interview" pile to the "interview" pile because of one of these letters.

What's your criteria for determining who to invite? Does geography play a role?

Have to agree on this one. I have a great letter from a "big gun" and didn't even get an interview at that person's institution. Why? B/c I don't have a PhD and 4 Science papers probably...but no, seriously, I think they can help but not as much as we'd like to think.

(original radoncmonkey poster)
I did not do the rotation until Oct-Nov. (I had a late interest in the field and did one away in Aug/Sept and another in Oct). So the letter was probably mailed about 2-3 weeks ago...don't know why they just got it.

"I don't know. When reviewing applicants this year, there were quite a few with LORs from the biggest names in Rad Onc. Not a single applicant was moved from the "no interview" pile to the "interview" pile because of one of these letters."

I don't know if I am different than the candidates that Adawaal mentioned, but I think this letter helped me because I am not a candidate with high board scores...hate to admit it but I actually took Step 1 twice (first time did poorly because of a death in the family). So, I think the letter might have served as a reason to actually look at the rest of my file and not just toss it aside...but just my thoughts...
and an interview does not mean a position...even though the world would be better (at least for some of us) if it did...

The circumstances surrounding these letters vary. In particular, a few "big names" have a bad reputation for writing short, unreavealing, and uninspiring LORs. When you rotate, ask the residents who writes the best LORs and work closely with those faculty.

That said RadOnc is a small field and people know their colleagues well. The bigger the name, the better chance that people at a given institution will know them. It doesn't guarantee anything of course, but as in the OP's case, it may open some closed doors.

you guys are thinking of this far too much like the formula that it isnt. a great student with letters from mere humans is likely to get an interivew. and lousy student from "big guns" isnt except if somehow the big guns say this person is the best thing since sliced bread. the "big guys" are always the ones who are called upon to write lors. i can tell the letters from certain people in 2 seconds flat as ive seen their names so much. you learn to read and understand their style, when they just like a guy and when they love him. i understand the desire to find that magic key that unlocks the door but its not as simple as that.

Steph's right on. There are subtle word choices that make it clear that a LOR writer is not particularly impressed. Also, many of the "big names" are so flooded with LOR requests that they can't possibly have time to write quality letters for everyone. There are a couple "big names" who write such almost identical comments that I'm left wondering if they aren't actually written by a secretary based on a script.