Big Names in Plastic Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swing

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was following a Plastic Surgeon yesterday, and his comment about being competitive was to (among other things) try to do rotations with, and get letters from the "Big Names" in Plastic Surgery.
Can anyone say who these folks might be or how/where to do the research necessary to find out?
Thanks to all for your time and help!

Members don't see this ad.

Certainly. The biggest names today in the field are obvious. look at the programs with the largest reps. UTSW ( Rod J. Rohrich), NYU (Mccarthy), JH(Manson), Harvard(James May. i am currently working with RJR at UTSW.

A few others I would add to that list
Dr. Luis Vasconez (UAB)
Dr. Donald Serafin (DUKE)
Drs. Nahai and Hester (Atlanta)
Dr. Ed Luce (Case Western Reserve U.)
Drs. Aston & Dan Baker (Manhattan)
Dr. Saleh Shenaq (Baylor U.)
Dr Bruce Shack (Vanderbilt)
Dr Ian Jackson (Grand Rapids,MI)
Drs. Gunter & Fritz Barton (Dallas)
Dr. Stephen Mathes (UCSF)
Drs. Thomas Kryziek & Robson (Tampa)
Dr. Longacre (Stanford U)
Dr Don Baker (miami)
Dr Whitaker (U. Penn)
Dr Pat Maxwell (Nashville)
& too many others to mention....

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your replies and help!

Hi guys,

The list above is wonderful but rather outdated. I was wondering if the experts could contribute to defining who the big names in 2014 are, perhaps divided into subspecialties.

Craniofacial:

Microsurgery:

Breast surgery:

Hand:

Body contouring:

Aesthetics:

Look forward to lots of replies : )

Reactions: 1 user
This is not an exhaustive list.

Craniofacial: Buchman, Baker, Rodriguez, Mardini, Posnick

Microsurgery: JP Hong, Fu-Chan Wei, Saint-Cyr, Serletti, Bill Adams, Mathes, Ming-hue Chen, Blondeel, Yu

Breast surgery: Spear, Nahabedian, Hall-Findlay, Losken (lots of the above micro people as well)

Hand: Jim Higgins, Breidenbach, Chung, Neimeister, Lalonde (again many of micro guys)

Body contouring: Peter Rubin, also Kenkel & Rohrich

Aesthetics: Nahai, Kenkel, Rohrich, Stuzin

Hi guys,

The list above is wonderful but rather outdated. I was wondering if the experts could contribute to defining who the big names in 2014 are, perhaps divided into subspecialties.

Craniofacial:

Microsurgery:

Breast surgery:

Hand:

Body contouring:

Aesthetics:

Look forward to lots of replies : )

Reactions: 1 user
Good Question.......!
It's really great to see some of the great names in this respective field.
In-fact as per my view it really tough to name because worldwide there are plenty of surgeons available who are in the respective field and they did really well, and what I saw everybody is mentioning only those who they know.