Bilateral inferior alveolar nerve block safe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adlogin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good Morning. I would like to do a deep cleening on a patients lower left and lower right quadrant. Is it safe to give two inferior alveolar nerve blocks on both sides?

Members don't see this ad.

Good Morning. I would like to do a deep cleening on a patients lower left and lower right quadrant. Is it safe to give two inferior alveolar nerve blocks on both sides?
Yes. Just tell them that anything they bite now will hurt a lot later. Maybe not the best for young kids

Do you have the option to do UR/LR or UL/LL instead?

You generally don't want to do bilateral IAs unless it is absolutely necessary, such as full mouth extractions.
It is very uncomfortable for the patient.

Members don't see this ad :)
The upper is already clean. It would have to be LL and LR unless I bring the patient back for a second appointment. Is there another injection that would be better suited so I can do both lower quadrants in one visit?

Do you have the option to do UR/LR or UL/LL instead?

You generally don't want to do bilateral IAs unless it is absolutely necessary, such as full mouth extractions.
It is very uncomfortable for the patient.

Come on now. How do you think we take out third molars? It's not even a consideration. What do you think is going to happen? Aspiration and death? Apnea? It's a sensory nerve.

OP, your patient will be fine. Do your work. I'm more worried for the patient that you had to ask the question on a message board.

Reactions: 1 users
Oraqix? It's basically lidocaine injected into the sulcus. Only lasts 30 minutes or so

Come on now. How do you think we take out third molars? It's not even a consideration. What do you think is going to happen? Aspiration and death? Apnea? It's a sensory nerve.

OP, your patient will be fine. Do your work. I'm more worried for the patient that you had to ask the question on a message board.
We were actually taught the same thing. It's more of a consideration for pediatric patients, but if a patient's entire mouth is numb, they're not necessarily going to know what they're biting down on/how hard they're biting. Bigger risk for self-inflicted trauma, more bitten tongues and lips, bigger risk for them chomping down super hard and smacking their teeth together, etc.

We were actually taught the same thing. It's more of a consideration for pediatric patients, but if a patient's entire mouth is numb, they're not necessarily going to know what they're biting down on/how hard they're biting. Bigger risk for self-inflicted trauma, more bitten tongues and lips, bigger risk for them chomping down super hard and smacking their teeth together, etc.
tell them to eat before they come in. and wait out the anesthesia. if they chew their lip/tongue up ... thats on them. informed consent. i ALWAYS tell them that being numb all over is uncomfortable, etc... but you'd be amazed at the number that would rather be numb ONCE than come back for subsequent "numbings"

OP, you'll be fine numbing both sides. i do full mouths all the time. like FMX at least once a day. don't sweat it!!

Numb one side and clean it, then another, when you are almost done with the first one