bile salts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dat_student

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
select the INCORRECT statement concerning bile salts
A) break down (digest) lipids
B) Emulsify and solubilize lipids
C) synthesize in the liver
D) Are stored in the gall bladder
E) Are not released by the gall bladder

They say (A) is the only incorrect statement. I think E is incorrect. Am I wrong?

Members don't see this ad.

dat_student said:

They say (A) is the only incorrect statement. I think E is incorrect. Am I wrong?

i would say E too. where is this question from?

dat_student said:

I think (A) is correct answer (They are asking for INCORRECT statement). Bile emulisfies lipids not breaks down. And for (E) Bile is synthesized in the liver and stored in gall bladder and once needed released from the gall bladder so I think (E) is true.

sailinx said:
I think (A) is correct answer (They are asking for INCORRECT statement). Bile emulisfies lipids not breaks down. And for (E) Bile is synthesized in the liver and stored in gall bladder and once needed released from the gall bladder so I think (E) is true.

But E says that it is NOT released by that gall bladder which is false as it is. Could there be two right answers to this question?

Members don't see this ad :)
cowsgomoo said:
But E says that it is NOT released by that gall bladder which is false as it is. Could there be two right answers to this question?

Oops ! I think (E) is correct. I was just looking at different sources I use to refer for Bio, and every thing points to that Bile is temporarily stored in gallbladder and released from there.

With option (A), It really depends how you interpret break down (because they have specified the word digest in parenthesis). Again, the resources I use say, Bile emulsifies lipids and break down lipid into small droplets so that fat-digesting enzyme (ex. lipase) can work on.

So with this, then its upto the reader to interpret. If I am given the choice, I will also pick (E). Thanks cowsgomoo ! BTW, I am also in Alpharetta ! When are you planning to take the DAT ?

sailinx said:
Oops ! I think (E) is correct. I was just looking at different sources I use to refer for Bio, and every thing points to that Bile is temporarily stored in gallbladder and released from there.

With option (A), It really depends how you interpret break down (because they have specified the word digest in parenthesis). Again, the resources I use say, Bile emulsifies lipids and break down lipid into small droplets so that fat-digesting enzyme (ex. lipase) can work on.

So with this, then its upto the reader to interpret. If I am given the choice, I will also pick (E). Thanks cowsgomoo ! BTW, I am also in Alpharetta ! When are you planning to take the DAT ?

NICE!! Yeah today is the big day. I am pissing my pants i can't wait to get this over with.

cowsgomoo said:
NICE!! Yeah today is the big day. I am pissing my pants i can't wait to get this over with.

I know you will do fine. Good Luck ! Let me know how you did ? :thumbup:

A is definitely the answer
good luck and rock that DAT :)

DDS2BE said:
A is definitely the answer
good luck and rock that DAT :)

Isn't bile released from the gall bladder???? I think A & E are both incorrect statements and therefore the right answers.

dat_student said:
Isn't bile released from the gall bladder???? I think A & E are both incorrect statements and therefore the right answers.

that's a word play :) I think. Bile is released into the gall bladder and stored in there. Low pH triggers the bile release FROM THE GALL BLADDER.... blah blah blah...

I hate those "INCORRECT statement" type questions :D You are right dat_student.

There is an error with this problem definitely. A and E are both wrong!

Bile DOES NOT digest fat, it emulsify the fat. Bile is definitely released by the gallbladder into small intestine.

DDS2BE said:
that's a word play :) I think. Bile is released into the gall bladder and stored in there. Low pH triggers the bile release FROM THE GALL BLADDER.... blah blah blah...

I hate those "INCORRECT statement" type questions :D You are right dat_student.

Actually it is the presence of fats in the small intestine that triggers CCK to make the gall bladder release the bile. I thought I’d just let everyone know as this maybe a trick question on real DAT.