Billing tips for newly minted Rheumatology Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Residentdoc86

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a very short time fellowship will be over and we will be set free to join the workforce as independent providers. Like in most residences and fellowships, billing is not exactly a topic that gets covered a lot. My fellowship is largely academic so attendings often don't think or worry about RVUs.

Currently, I bill mostly 99204/99214, occasionally 99205/99215, G2211, and procedure codes for aspiration/injection. Once I get MSK US certified, I plan on incorporating that into my practice.

Wondering if any highly productive attendings have any additional tips/tricks they wish to share?

For context, I signed a hospital-employed outpatient position with a guaranteed base salary and a bonus structure of $50 per RVU over the 5532 target.

Members don't see this ad.

mind sharing what's the base like? what part of the country? what is the income potential? how many days are you working and how many patients per day?

mind sharing what's the base like? what part of the country? what is the income potential? how many days are you working and how many patients per day?

I can tell you what these numbers are for rheumatology PP:

Base: $325k
Potential: I made $540k last year
Days worked per week: 4.5
PPD: 18-22

More on how to bill later.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For me
The base is $265, 50K sign-on
Potential: extra $$ if over RVU. No infusion or other ancillary $$
4 working Days
PPD: unclear, but plan to start 1HR for new and 1/2HR for follow-up

Im a very short time fellowship will be over and we will be set free to join the workforce as independent providers. Like in most residences and fellowships, billing is not exactly a topic that gets covered a lot. My fellowship is largely academic so attendings often don't think or worry about RVUs.

Currently, I bill mostly 99204/99214, occasionally 99205/99215, G2211, and procedure codes for aspiration/injection. Once I get MSK US certified, I plan on incorporating that into my practice.

Wondering if any highly productive attendings have any additional tips/tricks they wish to share?

For context, I signed a hospital-employed outpatient position with a guaranteed base salary and a bonus structure of $50 per RVU over the 5532 target.

Some pointers:

- You want to know the difference between a “new patient” visit vs a consult (99244/99245). A consult adds about $100 over a new patient eval visit. You can’t bill a consult if it’s a CMS patient (aka Medicare/Medicaid), and you also have to technically communicate back to the referring provider for it to be a consult as well.

- I’m very interested in using the G2211 code but I have no idea how to do it. My practice doesn’t seem to ever bill this code, interestingly.

- Don’t expect MSK ultrasound to be worth the time it takes to break the machine out.

- Likewise, I tend to avoid doing procedures…if I need to tap a joint or something, then yea I’ll absolutely do that…but I’m not one of these rheumatologists who is always trying to do another injection etc. From the point of view of billing, it doesn’t compensate all that much and if you don’t have a well lubed office workflow for doing it, it’s not going to be worthwhile as opposed to adding more patients to your schedule. I’d rather just see another patient TBH. And steroid injections are way overused anyway.

Some pointers:

- You want to know the difference between a “new patient” visit vs a consult (99244/99245). A consult adds about $100 over a new patient eval visit. You can’t bill a consult if it’s a CMS patient (aka Medicare/Medicaid), and you also have to technically communicate back to the referring provider for it to be a consult as well.

- I’m very interested in using the G2211 code but I have no idea how to do it. My practice doesn’t seem to ever bill this code, interestingly.

- Don’t expect MSK ultrasound to be worth the time it takes to break the machine out.

- Likewise, I tend to avoid doing procedures…if I need to tap a joint or something, then yea I’ll absolutely do that…but I’m not one of these rheumatologists who is always trying to do another injection etc. From the point of view of billing, it doesn’t compensate all that much and if you don’t have a well lubed office workflow for doing it, it’s not going to be very efficient. I’d rather just see another patient TBH. And steroid injections are way overused anyway.
in my neck of the woods 9920X and 9924X pay me the same. shrugs

then again I do not see a lot of purely commercial private insuranec. i see mostly managed medicaids and managed medicares

I go G2211 for medicare and managed medicare patients anytime I am evaluating for chronic conditions that are expected to be around ... chronically

for my specialty patients COPD, asthma, IPF, etc... all count

i get an extra $15 or so (subject to copays and deductibles as usual)

go nuts on it for your SLE, RA, fibro patients i guess

of note i tried to bill non Medicare patients but i just get billing error saying this code is not applicable etc... as expected

for primary care side if its the usual DM, HTN, CAD, CKD, etc... im using it if I addressed all those chornic issues on the same visit

i would not be using this if I just addressed some small acute issue in a patient WITH chronic medical issues but i did not address that chronic issue

if the same DM, HTN, CAD, CKD... patient came in for an insect bite... i am just doing some 99212 action on said insect bite and ignoring the G2211 that day.

i've successfully billed for 76882 before in the few situations in which I am looking at someone's knee... osteoarthritis obviously but patient complains of swelling and there must be fluid. i sono'd it and saved images and wrote a quick template report - no effusion
billed successfully under internal medicine and got paid $30 for it
usually if its big enough fluid i would aspirate it. I did get trained in residency for arthrocentesis and did enough to feel good enough to do it if the effusion is large enough (which I would feel comfortable with with point of care U/S to identify said pocket)
I rarely do this maybe twice or thrice a year.... but with a big enough pocket can't possibly miss!

found gout and pseudogout last year. shrugs

the key is get a portable pocket ultrasound. you can't beat the butterfly IQ. it comes with an image portal as well to save your images to.
consider it.

for the record I 76604 everyone who walks my way with dyspnea. (that is US Chest - the same ICU ultrasoudn for lungs use in the outpateint setting for a quick look that sometimes can preclude need for an unnecessary xray of the chest)