Binge eaters , how is your Med school experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TurbulentWind

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, Everyone !
I was a binge eater even before Med school, so I am not blaming Med school for it.
However, before starting Med school, I could maintain a very good nutritional plan and training plan.
Since Med school started, however, my binge eating gets out of hand more frequently than usual : today I had a massive binge eating episode of 20+ Danish cookies, half box of chocolate, Greek yogurt + fruits, chicken sandwich.

I seriously thought about quitting Med school just because of this : I don't know if I can cope with the whole binge eating problem for the rest of my life.
I worked extremely hard to get rid of this habit and it all seemed good, but since I started Med school, it gets more and more out of hand. And it's not only this, but I heard that many doctors are binge eaters ( that explains why there are so many obese doctors ).

If I would have to choose between a healthy lifestyle and being a doctor, I would choose the first one.
I would like to be healthy and a doctor at the same time, of course, but I don't know how to make it. I've been binge eating at least 3 times/week since I'm in my first year. It doesn't seem like it would get better.

Members don't see this ad.

have you tried not binge eating

Reactions: 11 users
Hello, Everyone !
I was a binge eater even before Med school, so I am not blaming Med school for it.
However, before starting Med school, I could maintain a very good nutritional plan and training plan.
Since Med school started, however, my binge eating gets out of hand more frequently than usual : today I had a massive binge eating episode of 20+ Danish cookies, half box of chocolate, Greek yogurt + fruits, chicken sandwich.

I seriously thought about quitting Med school just because of this : I don't know if I can cope with the whole binge eating problem for the rest of my life.
I worked extremely hard to get rid of this habit and it all seemed good, but since I started Med school, it gets more and more out of hand. And it's not only this, but I heard that many doctors are binge eaters ( that explains why there are so many obese doctors ).

If I would have to choose between a healthy lifestyle and being a doctor, I would choose the first one.
I would like to be healthy and a doctor at the same time, of course, but I don't know how to make it. I've been binge eating at least 3 times/week since I'm in my first year. It doesn't seem like it would get better.
I feel like depending on what specialty you go into, you will not have time to binge eat, seriously.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, Everyone !

I definitely overeat when I'm stressed. Usually the week leading up to an exam I start to eat more fast food and buy junk food from the store. It's quick, easy, and tastes so damn good. I don't think I'm anywhere near your level, but it's still a struggle for me and I want to improve.

I would recommend spending an hour at the gym every day (even if you hate it). When I'm exercising regular I feel a lot better and eat better. Also try to avoid shopping when you're feeling sad or hungry, just don't bring that junk food into your apartment.

Reactions: 1 users
Strong Topic name to user name correlation. I imagine you are passing significant TurbulentWind after that feast you just described.

I would discuss with somebody regarding the binge eating disorder.

Reactions: 2 users
Strong Topic name to user name correlation. I imagine you are passing significant TurbulentWind after that feast you just described.

I would discuss with somebody regarding the binge eating disorder.
Actually I am not passing significant TurbulentWinds after my feasts :D
My stomach is damn strong, I don't even know how is this possible, but I think that one of the main reasons for why I am a binge eater is that I have a damn strong stomach : I never ever felt sick or bloated or anything like that, even after massive amounts of food. Most of the people would feel seriously bloated and even puke after eating the foods that I eat, but my stomach can handle anything, even the biggest amounts of food and most bizarre food combinations.

I definitely overeat when I'm stressed. Usually the week leading up to an exam I start to eat more fast food and buy junk food from the store. It's quick, easy, and tastes so damn good. I don't think I'm anywhere near your level, but it's still a struggle for me and I want to improve.

I would recommend spending an hour at the gym every day (even if you hate it). When I'm exercising regular I feel a lot better and eat better. Also try to avoid shopping when you're feeling sad or hungry, just don't bring that junk food into your apartment.
I like going to the gym, but it doesn't keep me away from binge eating. The problem is that the gym lasts 1 hour, right ?
The stress lasts 16 hours ( not counting the time when I sleep ) , so the chances of binge eating are still way high in all the waking hours, except the hour I spend at the gym.

Hello, Everyone !

I've been down that road before and I have the wide butt to prove it. I try to have low calorie munchy snacks with me. I pack fruit, poppable pop corn, veggie trays etc. I get mocked for this, but I put Splenda in water. It's super sweet and I drink less pop when I do. Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you were to quit, I'd be very worried that you'll end up binge eating and not a doctor, instead of binge eating and a doctor. What is it about med school in particular that triggered it?

In terms of how to treat it, is there a psychologist or counsellor you can see who is not affiliated with your school? In general, I would try to eat a higher fat and protein diet as it will increase satiety, and no diet drinks because they can cause cravings due to insulin release from the artificial sweetener.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could try switching to making your own food from scratch rather than buying it. Besides being cheaper and developing a skill, having to put in time/effort to making the food (rather than simply buying/unpackaging it), as well as potentially creating a temporal separation between when you want to eat vs. when you can, might inhibit the binge eating.

Binge eater here. I bought and consumed a 1400 kcal box of cookies in one sitting last night while studying. Disgusting. I am terrified for my health. Between the lack of exercise, lack of sleep, and terrible diet, I am really concerned that I will develop some sort of disease. It's just so hard for me to do my best in school while also living a healthy lifestyle.

Binge eater here. I bought and consumed a 1400 kcal box of cookies in one sitting last night while studying. Disgusting. I am terrified for my health. Between the lack of exercise, lack of sleep, and terrible diet, I am really concerned that I will develop some sort of disease. It's just so hard for me to do my best in school while also living a healthy lifestyle.

Everyone already told you in your other thread that you need to get off your butt. Same goes for OP. Just stop eating so much, or binge eat some carrots or broccoli or something.

If you can't sacrifice 1.5 hours a day to hit the gym, there's something seriously wrong with your study habits.

Everyone already told you in your other thread that you need to get off your butt. Same goes for OP. Just stop eating so much, or binge eat some carrots or broccoli or something.

If you can't sacrifice 1.5 hours a day to hit the gym, there's something seriously wrong with your study habits.
Sorry, but you clearly have no clue about binge eating or how the body works.
Do you think 1-2 hours of gym are going to make up for binge eating ?
Just do the math and you'll find out that's not possible.
Thin persons can afford to be lazy all day long, if they don't eat much, and they still won't gain weight, because there is going to be no excess energy.
On the other hand, once you ingest food that contains high level of energy ( which is not hard to do nowadays ) , it is very hard and practically even impossible to burn off.

As for the binge eating part : no one binges on broccoli and carrots, and if binge eating would work that way, then there would be no binge eaters, only a bunch of health nuts.
I don't mean to be rude, but stop talking about things that you have no clue about.

You're going to be a doctor. If the only thing you can tell to a future patient is " get off your butt " , then you're really not making any significant effort there to understand the problem.

they can give you adderall for binge eating d/o. two birds with one stone. now you have adderall and you aren't binge eating.

Sorry, but you clearly have no clue about binge eating or how the body works.
Do you think 1-2 hours of gym are going to make up for binge eating ?
Just do the math and you'll find out that's not possible.
Thin persons can afford to be lazy all day long, if they don't eat much, and they still won't gain weight, because there is going to be no excess energy.
On the other hand, once you ingest food that contains high level of energy ( which is not hard to do nowadays ) , it is very hard and practically even impossible to burn off.

As for the binge eating part : no one binges on broccoli and carrots, and if binge eating would work that way, then there would be no binge eaters, only a bunch of health nuts.
I don't mean to be rude, but stop talking about things that you have no clue about.

You're going to be a doctor. If the only thing you can tell to a future patient is " get off your butt " , then you're really not making any significant effort there to understand the problem.

Lol. What are you expecting people to tell you on SDN? This isn't some psychiatric telemedicine website. It's obvious you have an eating disorder, go see someone about it. Also, hint hint: there's no magic pill for you burn those binge eating calories, so prepare for them to tell you the same thing as far as dealing with weight control.

Just eat **** tons of celery brah. Its like 4 calories.

Lol. What are you expecting people to tell you on SDN? This isn't some psychiatric telemedicine website. It's obvious you have an eating disorder, go see someone about it. Also, hint hint: there's no magic pill for you burn those binge eating calories, so prepare for them to tell you the same thing as far as dealing with weight control.

I've actually written the same thing.
Besides, you can "lol" all day , but if you've got nothing useful to say, then don't say anything at all.
Just because we are on a forum, it doesn't mean that people can't share valuable information. You just didn't provide any of it, so that's it.

It can undo a lot of the damage. You can burn 700 calories and generate a repair deficit of 300-500 calories in an hour.

wrt binge eating, how is your eating when not binging? when i binge its often because i'm aiming for -1k below TDEE...if I lighten up to -500 I'm fine.
Ha , are you some bodybuilder or similar ? :D
I see you know your stuff.
Yes, when you don't often go overboard from your TDEE , then having a " cheat meal " here and there it's fine, because it won't affect you much, but it's still simple math and the reason it doesn't affect you is that you simply don't create any major excess, so that at the end of the day, you're still in deficit.
However, a binge eating episode can easily create huge caloric excess and that is only one episode - imagine having one every single day or even more of them in one day !

Now my situation is relatively manageable though, I am not obese and I don't have health problems yet, but it's a very slippery slope.

Try CBT--you actually have time for that as a 1-2nd yr student. If you haven't been able to fix then on your own, it's likely the only thing that will actually be a long-term solution.

I am a little surprised by the lack of compassion, as it is a real disorder. There are definitely a few good books out there for this. Someone above recommended CBT and I second that. A book "The Power of Habit" is a quick read and may be nascent help as you learn how to navigate your stress levels and psychological/habitual behaviors in reaction to those stressors. Hope that helps.

I am a little surprised by the lack of compassion, as it is a real disorder. There are definitely a few good books out there for this. Someone above recommended CBT and I second that. A book "The Power of Habit" is a quick read and may be nascent help as you learn how to navigate your stress levels and psychological/habitual behaviors in reaction to those stressors. Hope that helps.
Bahahahahaha...!!!!
Physicians, esp residents, seem to be the biggest aholes in the universe. We're tired and hungry most of the time.