Bio and verbal studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FARM13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to study for the biology section for the PCAT? I have been using Kaplan and Dr. Collin's. I am weak in the A & P subsection. Also what is a good way to study for the verbal section, especially the analogies? I have been studying root words. I have also been taking the Pearson PCAT practice exams. I am not good at standardized tests, but graduated with a 3.37 GPA and I have worked at a pharmacy for over 4 years. In addition I am a National Certified Pharmacy Technician.

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on the date of your exam I would purchase used Biology/Anatomy/Microbiology textbooks from Amazon.You do not need the new editions you can get old editions for like $1 to $5. Start reviewing them chapter by chapter subtopic by subtopic from start to finish. I have done this for over 3 months now, 1 chapter for A&P, 1 for Bio,1 for MicroBio(about 2 hours a day). I am scoring very high 90's in my Barrons and Pearson Practice tests for Biology. Practice makes perfect and by practicing you can find your weaknesses. I have Dr.Collins study material as well. I use MIT and Yale lecture videos to help visualize certain topics.

For Vocab I use Sparknotes FlashCards, REA Flashcards, Dr.Collins, and Kaplan's Word Power. Try to Study 15-20 words a night. In the morning after breakfast test yourself. At the end of the week quiz yourself. If you start on Monday then by Friday you should have learned 75 to 100 words. If you keep forgetting a definition use the weekend to write a story using the words, or in a text, or use it in a conversation, repeat the word and defintion as you brush your teeth. I have used this method over the past 3 months and have added 900 words to my vocabulary.

I have my test September 24th so i've dedicated a lot of my time to studying and hoping to get a 99%. Set reachable goals, limit distractions, and dedicate your time to all subjects, and you should get the score you deserve.

Thank You for your help! Your study tips are good as they will definetly help me out in preparing for the PCAT. I am also taking the PCAT September 24th. I have been studying from the Kaplan and Dr. Collins. I have been taking the PCAT Practice tests from Pearson and feel that they are helping me out also.