BIO purchase

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CHM0716

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there have been threads on this in the past, but I wanted to start this discussion back up again since there hasn't been a lot of recent discussion about BIO's. I am about to purchase my BIO, and I was wanting any feedback on Keeler Vantage Plus and the Heine Omega 500. Most people just say "Buy the one that feels better on your head." Are there any other comments about durability (this probably applies to older models more than the newer ones I listed), optics, battery life, etc.? Any help is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there. truth is everyone gets used to whatever they have. Some of my classmates purchased the keeler because of the roller bag it came with. I have the heine and definitely prefer it over the keeler.
With that said, I am also able to sell my heine BIO if you're interested.

I know there have been threads on this in the past, but I wanted to start this discussion back up again since there hasn't been a lot of recent discussion about BIO's. I am about to purchase my BIO, and I was wanting any feedback on Keeler Vantage Plus and the Heine Omega 500. Most people just say "Buy the one that feels better on your head." Are there any other comments about durability (this probably applies to older models more than the newer ones I listed), optics, battery life, etc.? Any help is much appreciated!

A binocular indirect ophthalmoscope (B.I.O.) essentially is a light bulb and a couple of mirrors, all bolted onto a head-strap — I'd look for a used item, which I feel is comfortable. Personally, I like the Topcon ID-5 and the Heine Omega 500; I get poor binocularity with the Keeler Vantage Plus.

This said, you probably really should not purchase a B.I.O.: You're buying only to practice during school, and your school should supply instruments for this purpose. Afterward, almost any place you work will have a unit available for your use.