Biochem issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gulliver Dark

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've posted about this before but didn't really get any solid answers.

I just finished another semester (at a community college) with a 4.0, and I think I should have a stellar upward trend (last 60 credits all 3.8, all science and math 4.0)... but I can't find a biochem class after 3 or 4pm anywhere. I have a very flexible schedule, so I could probably swing 3, but I can't do a morning class every day because of work. I can't quit work before med school. I live in the DFW, Texas area. I have looked at UTA, UTD, UNT, TCU, and UD, and nothing has a biochem class I can take at a time I can take it. Last year Texas A&M Commerce had a class at night and I was going to drive an hour to go take it, but they don't this fall.

I am taking Ochem this summer, and then I just have biochem left for the prereqs. I was hoping to take biochem in the fall, study in the spring, take the MCAT around April, and apply next summer.

But now I don't think I can take biochem in the fall, at least at any local schools. TMDSAS has several schools that require biochem. There isn't even an introductory biochem class at local community colleges (which probably wouldn't work for TMDSAS anyway but might help with the MCAT).

I have considered UNECOM, but I don't want to hurt my chances any - I have a checkered academic history, and don't want any additional factors to contribute to me getting in if I can help it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

This may not be ideal, but UTA uses echo (class recordings you can access at home). If you absolutely have no other options, try that. The main lecturer they have, Dr. Rhinehart, has quizzes every Tuesdays that you need to attend. You might be able to work something out, or there might be two lecturers in the fall who doesn't have in class quizzes. I got an A in her class and I didn't pay as much attention as I should because I end up teaching the materials myself anyway and used her notes as a guide. Class wasn't completely necessary since I sometimes used the class recording and watched at x1.5 speed and saved time.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is awesome advice. I worry about Harvard or UNECOM because I worry about having online classes for prereqs. But if I can just take the class without going to lecture 65% of the time (I can get off one afternoon or morning a week, but not several) that would be awesome.

Thanks! I wonder how that would work for a lab? I don't think I need the lab for TMDSAS but it might be nice to take a lab and do well at a four year school. Beggars can't be choosers though. I'll look into that for UTA.

That is awesome advice. I worry about Harvard or UNECOM because I worry about having online classes for prereqs. But if I can just take the class without going to lecture 65% of the time (I can get off one afternoon or morning a week, but not several) that would be awesome.

Thanks! I wonder how that would work for a lab? I don't think I need the lab for TMDSAS but it might be nice to take a lab and do well at a four year school. Beggars can't be choosers though. I'll look into that for UTA.

Lab is only required if you plan to get a biology degree. Lab is separate from lecture so you don't have to take it.