biochem no longer prereq at UMD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sammi345

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I received an email today from UMD pharmacy school notifying me that Biochemistry is no longer a prerequisite, even for those who are entering fall 2009.

But I'm still thinking of taking biochemistry and physical chemistry before entering pharmacy school to help me once I'm there (Since they are both required courses in their pharmd program)
Is this a good idea??

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming this is University of Maryland and not the University of Minnesota-Duluth of which I attend?

In case it isn't, if you get an A in undergrad biochem, you don't have to take it during your first year of pharmacy school, at my UMD :)

So I received an email today from UMD pharmacy school notifying me that Biochemistry is no longer a prerequisite, even for those who are entering fall 2009.

But I'm still thinking of taking biochemistry and physical chemistry before entering pharmacy school to help me once I'm there (Since they are both required courses in their pharmd program)
Is this a good idea??

Yep, I received the email too. I'd say take it anyway, it provides a lot of the basics for other courses in pharmacy school

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I'm talking about the University of Maryland, Baltimore

I found that my biochem class in undergrad helped me in biochem at UMB, but that also depends on how good the class was taught to begin with.

I would recommend biochem even if it isn't required because pretty much everything is tied into those biochem pathways during your p1 year.

I'm already sick of biochem pathways and flowcharts..............it truly never ends.