Test Tools Biochemistry and Genetics Resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LWW Publishers

Test Prep Exhibitor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for questions and discussion related to resources for biochemistry and genetics. In this thread, LWW will be raffling off one copy of Marks’ Basic Medical Biochemistry, 3e. Winners for each raffle will be drawn from among the members who post questions about the product or otherwise meaningfully contribute to the discussion.

Marks’ Basic Medical Biochemistry: A Clinical Approach, 3e

Lippincott’s Illustrated Review: Biochemistry, 4e –One of the most popular biochemistry reviews on the market!

BRS Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 4e

BRS Genetics—Brand new volume to the popular BRS series! Available May 2009

High-Yield Biochemistry, 3e—New Edition

High-Yield Genetics—NEW!

Underground Clinical Vignettes Step 1: Biochemistry, 5e –Includes 100 clinical cases

Members don't see this ad.

Of your resources, which do you think are "must-haves" for first year BioChem?

This is the subject I'm most concerned about going in and I intend to stock up on anything and everything that may help in my quest to total domination of med school biochem.

About how many clinical vignettes are presented in the book?

Members don't see this ad :)
Of your resources, which do you think are "must-haves" for first year BioChem?

This is the subject I'm most concerned about going in and I intend to stock up on anything and everything that may help in my quest to total domination of med school biochem.

Marks' Basic Medical Biochemistry is our classic text for clinically oriented biochemsitry classes and Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemstry remains one of our best-selling resources for Biochemistry courses and exam prep. I would definitely touch base with your classmates and other students on the forum to see which resources worked best for them and why.

Thanks so much!
LWW

About how many clinical vignettes are presented in the book?

Are you asking about the Underground Clinical Vignette title? If so there are 100 short vignettes. It's a small pocke-sized resource, so it's great for on the go study.

The Marks' textbook uses a patient-oriented approach and uses illustrative patient vignettes throughout each chapter to help students understand and retain core concepts.

Thanks!
LWW

What especially does this textbook provide that offers the clinical approach? How do you think it improves how the information is presented?

What especially does this textbook provide that offers the clinical approach? How do you think it improves how the information is presented?

Hi derArzt,

The unique, patient-oriented approach is what really sets this text apart from others. The aim of Marks’ is to help students learn to use biochemistry in the process of clinical problem-solving--this is where the patient approach comes into play. The patients have unique and humorous names that serve as mnemonics and help students remember the vignettes. As the chapters evolve, the patients appear and reappear as their problems are examined in light of the biochemical concepts covered in the text. There are a few patients that will be seen repeatedly throughout the entire book with exacerbations of new facets of the original problem.

Thanks!
LWW

Comparing the Marks' Basic Biochemistry book and the BRS Biochemistry and Molecular Biology book, does it carry some basic information like the former? Do realize that the Marks' book is longer; in that situation, would the BRS book be more of a companion or could it stand alone like the Illustrated Review book can (I have this one already)?

Comparing the Marks' Basic Biochemistry book and the BRS Biochemistry and Molecular Biology book, does it carry some basic information like the former? Do realize that the Marks' book is longer; in that situation, would the BRS book be more of a companion or could it stand alone like the Illustrated Review book can (I have this one already)?

The BRS titles are definitely great supplements to the major texts for course review, but are great stand-alone books for test prep/board review. The Marks' book or any other textbook of its size is really intended to be used as primary learning tool and BRS as a key study tool, but it really differs depending on the learner and his/her level of comfort with the specific subject area.

Thanks!
LWW

Thank you for the answer. It seems that I might invest in some BRS books or its equivalent if I already have something similar to the Illustrative Review series of the same subject. I do agree that it is up to the student and the class materials given, but I like the depth that the Illustrated Review goes into for comprehensive purposes.

I have previous experience using a BRS text and I like the format. However, I have been told to get the Illustrated review for my first semester biochem class. How does the illustrated review differ from the outline-based BRS format?

Have u finally added color to your biochemistry BRS book?

I have previous experience using a BRS text and I like the format. However, I have been told to get the Illustrated review for my first semester biochem class. How does the illustrated review differ from the outline-based BRS format?

Thanks so much for your question! Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews are also in outline format but are heavily illustrated and praised for their visual appeal. The annotated full-color illustrations visually reinforce the content and really helps guide readers through complex process and concepts. Feel free to check out the format via a keyword search on the biochemistry volume. http://www.lww.com/product/?978-0-7817-6960-0
The Illustrated Reviews are more like "hybrid" texts/reviews in that they offer more comprehensive coverage compared to BRS titles.

Thanks!
LWW

http://www.lww.com/product/?978-0-7817-6960-0

Lots of great questions and responses posted here. I think I'd be interested in purchasing the book, if I don't win it in this raffle. Definitely sounds like a good resource. Thanks!

Hi LWW

I was wondering about the BRS series. I have older versions of the books, but upperclassmen suggest getting newer versions. But it looks like the questions are the same, and similar content is covered. What are the most recent updates from the previous BRS edition.

Thanks!
UVABranch

Status
Not open for further replies.