Biochemistry and Organic Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raihan Mirza

The Lone Rider
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on taking organic chemistry and biochemistry at the same time. Is this a really bad combination. I mean I know both require a lot of memorization and reactions but it is possible to take both and do well right? Also does anyone have any recommendation for books to study for orgo and biochem?

Members don't see this ad.

um at my school organic is a pre-rec for biochem.... It's do-able, but they're both very time intensive.

Yeah, OChem is definitely a pre-req for biochem at our school too.

I don't think anyone would recommend taking those two together. But hey, you never know... :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I was able to register for both classes at the same time. I had taken organic chemistry I last semester but I used no credit at the end of the course. I have some background for Organic Chemistry I. I plan on studying a little ahead for both these classes this summer.

O-Chem is a pre-req for Biochem at my school too.

you can get by with an A in biochem without much knowledge in orgo right?

Ummm.. its a pre req at my school as well...

I was able to register for both. Is it possible to understand Biochemistry enough to get an A in the class without actually taking OrgoII?

I think it would be very difficult to understand mechanisms, etc, in biochem without ochem...

I think it would be very difficult to understand mechanisms, etc, in biochem without ochem...

Don't the biochemistry books do a good job in helping you understand the mechanisms?

Honestly, in my biochem class I really didn't use any of the mechanisms from ochem that much; it was all pretty well explained. You should be fine as long as you put in the work and since you have already questioned your decision, i think you are off to a good start.

I think you can take biochem without having taken organic chem prior but they are both just so HARD why would you stack them? Plus the labs...that's alot of work IMO, I wouldn't recommend it.

Honestly, in my biochem class I really didn't use any of the mechanisms from ochem that much; it was all pretty well explained. You should be fine as long as you put in the work and since you have already questioned your decision, i think you are off to a good start.

Thank you Maygyver!!! I really needed to hear that, you have given me some hope. If you dont mind me asking, how did you do in that class? I plan on preparing for both orgo I and biochem I this summer. Have any recommendations on books and any other advice?

I think you can take biochem without having taken organic chem prior but they are both just so HARD why would you stack them? Plus the labs...that's alot of work IMO, I wouldn't recommend it.

The reason why I want to stack them is because I want to graduate in 4 years. I plan on taking the labs for Orgo I/II in the summer and there is only Lab required for Biochem II.

Im pretty sure everyone at UCI takes biochem with orgo II. Definitely doable.

if you do organic right you don't have to memorize much

biochem is a lot of memorization though

you really don't need organic for biochem, the mechanisms are all magic anyway because of enzymes and stuff