Biochemistry Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bjt223

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am taking upper division Biochemistry class. It will be my first biochemistry class and I am nervous about it. The most part I am worried the most is the organic chemistry part. It had been 5 years since I last took organic chemistry. I have only one month before school start. Should I review organic chemistry?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I am taking upper division Biochemistry class. It will be my first biochemistry class and I am nervous about it. The most part I am worried the most is the organic chemistry part. It had been 5 years since I last took organic chemistry. I have only one month before school start. Should I review organic chemistry?

My Biochemistry course didn't contain a lot of Organic Chemistry, although if you are very strong in it, your life will be easier. For Organic Chemistry, it would help to go over mechanisms (electronic behavior) and biological molecules (amino acids). For General Chemistry, going over kinetics and equilibrium might help a little. You do not need to really know any of these concepts in depth. Just be familiar with them.

Reactions: 3 users
You should also review sugar molecules and their stereochemistry. It would also help to practice drawing nucleotides (sugar, base, and phosphate). This can be accomplished in a short amount of time.

Reactions: 1 user
I thought I'd comment here because I was in a very similar predicament as you and actually dug up old SDN threads with this exact concern in mind before taking the class this past Spring. It had been a few years since I've taken organic (2007) so I was worried that may hinder my ability to do well. I suppose it may vary from school to school, but I think very little organic knowledge is needed to succeed in biochemistry I. I ended up doing very well in the class, averaging 99.5 by the end of the semester (class avg was 70), and my professor was notoriously difficult. I was a meticulous note taker though, read and reviewed the chapters, and paid attention in class. Several of the concepts we studied was either unique to biochemistry (enzyme kinetics), review of fundamental concepts in general chemistry (thermodynamics, buffers, HH equation), but only a small portion of the class overlaps with the last half of organic II (the section on macromolecules). Regardless though, you will still be able to understand the material because much of material presented is about the structural aspect, not so much the actual reactivity of those structures like in organic. The only exception to this is the chymotrypsin mechanism, which may require a bit of memorization on your part but knowing some reactivity may help here. But that's really it. I think it's really unnecessary for you to go out your way to review organic specifically for this class. I suppose if you were taking biochem II it would probably be more relevant, since much of BII is about metabolic pathways - but as long as you're taking biochemistry I, you'll be okay. Just don't slack off though because this is one of those classes were things can easily get overwhelming if you put things aside. Good luck!