bioling point and vapor pressure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pluginchugin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone, i have a question... whats the relationship between boiling point and vapor pressure? are the proportional? or inversely porportional?

oh and can you explain vapor pressure to me? i can't seem the grasp this concept.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hi everyone, i have a question... whats the relationship between boiling point and vapor pressure? are the proportional? or inversely porportional?

oh and can you explain vapor pressure to me? i can't seem the grasp this concept.

thanks!

Vapor pressure is inversely proportional to boiling point by colligative property (Vapor pressure lowering compared to boiling point elevation).

All solids and liquids have a tendency to evaporate to a gaseous form, and all gases have a tendency to condense back. At any given temperature, for a particular substance, there is a partial pressure at which the gas of that substance is in dynamic equilibrium with its liquid or solid forms. This is the vapor pressure of that substance at that temperature.

The boiling point is where the vapor pressure equals the atmospheric pressure.

If substance A has a higher vapor pressure than substance B at a given temp, you could think of it as having a "head-start" on boiling, since it's closer to matching the atmospheric pressure. Thus, it'll boil sooner as the temp rises — a lower boiling point.

Reactions: 3 users

thanks!

I know it is confusing concept, but think this way: when you have higher vapor pressure, you already have vapor, you need less heat to boil(lower boiling point). I tried to simplize it. (boiling point) ~ 1/(vapor pressure)

but what is vapor pressure?
vapor pressure : the pressure exsist in equilibrum between molecule in liqiud satge with its vapor. in other hand when you have one glass water, in you glass water you have H20 liquid and H2O Vapor(gas).{ that is the reason why if you leave one glass water in room temprature after a while all your water vaporize without reciving to 100 degree}
Note: this pressure exsist inside the liquid.(inside your glass water).
Now you can manuplate the concept. when vapor pressure is high for example "Acetone" , you have more Acetone molecule in "Gas" form inside your acetone liquid then with a little bit affort(heat or energy) this gas molecule will scape, what is the meaning of that?
means you have lower boiling point:
important note 1: always keep in mind hydrogyn bond decrease your vapor pressure then increase your boiling point.

important note 2: after you check for hydrogyn bond, you go for molar mass, if we don't have hydrogyn bond, check for weight, higher molar mass( heavier) low vapor pressure and higher boiling point.

know lets make a multipy choise question: :)

which one has lower boilng point:

A) Water ( molar mass 18)
B) Ethanol( regular alchol) ( molar mass 46)
C) Acetic acid ( molar mass 60)
D) Acetone ( molar mass 58)
E)Normal Hexane (molar mass 86)

and you know the answer gonna be D, because A, B, C have hydrogyn bond( lower vapor pressure, higher boiling point)
between Hexane( C6H12) and Acetone (C3H6O) which don't have Hydrogyn bond, Acetone is lighter, then has higher vapor pressure and result lower boiling point.

hopefully it help.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know it is confusing concept, but think this way: when you have higher vapor pressure, you already have vapor, you need less heat to boil(lower boiling point). I tried to simplize it. (boiling point) ~ 1/(vapor pressure)

but what is vapor pressure?
vapor pressure : the pressure exsist in equilibrum between molecule in liqiud satge with its vapor. in other hand when you have one glass water, in you glass water you have H20 liquid and H2O Vapor(gas).{ that is the reason why if you leave one glass water in room temprature after a while all your water vaporize without reciving to 100 degree}
Note: this pressure exsist inside the liquid.(inside your glass water).
Now you can manuplate the concept. when vapor pressure is high for example "Acetone" , you have more Acetone molecule in "Gas" form inside your acetone liquid then with a little bit affort(heat or energy) this gas molecule will scape, what is the meaning of that?
means you have lower boiling point:
important note 1: always keep in mind hydrogyn bond decrease your vapor pressure then increase your boiling point.

important note 2: after you check for hydrogyn bond, you go for molar mass, if we don't have hydrogyn bond, check for weight, higher molar mass( heavier) low vapor pressure and higher boiling point.

know lets make a multipy choise question: :)

which one has lower boilng point:

A) Water ( molar mass 18)
B) Ethanol( regular alchol) ( molar mass 46)
C) Acetic acid ( molar mass 60)
D) Acetone ( molar mass 58)
E)Normal Hexane (molar mass 86)

and you know the answer gonna be D, because A, B, C have hydrogyn bond( lower vapor pressure, higher boiling point)
between Hexane( C6H12) and Acetone (C3H6O) which don't have Hydrogyn bond, Acetone is lighter, then has higher vapor pressure and result lower boiling point.

hopefully it help.

Just a side note, vapor pressure is the pressure built in a closed container when the liquid form vaporizes (or liquid becomes gas ) and that vapor (or gas) ...since its a closed container... excerts a pressure back down on the liquid.

As BOILING POINT INCREASES, VAPOR PRESSURE DECREASES and vise versa.
just know this and you'll be fine