Biology help?

Strudel19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in AP Biology. I've always been terrible at genetics and meiosis. I took this class with the idea of filling in holes before I start college next year. Because I'm so bad at genetics, is it worth studying it more during the summer? Or should I just stay chill and wait until undergrad?

Any tips on how to improve?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a senior as well, but I took AP Bio last year. Genetics was, I thought, one of the harder chapters but, with practice it really isn't that bad. The course should be perfect for getting you ready for Biology in college. It doesn't hurt to refresh your mind of a few Biology concepts, but I think studying over the summer would be overkill. Good luck on the AP test, and might I recommend the Bozeman Biology videos on youtube, especially the vids that go over each of the 12 labs (one of the essay questions on the AP test is lab analysis).

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with above. Start in General Bio and you will be fine. Pre-studying gives you little advantage to what you lose out on. Your last free summer.

Repetition makes the student.

I wasn't strong in bio after 2 years of college. Sat down and read and re-read all the chapters that weren't sticking between soph-junior year and killed it when I came back. In hindsight I wish I had always been so proactive.

If it's fun for you to study it I say go for it. Seriously how much work would it be? A couple hours a week? If you got a summer job (kids these days are still getting summer jobs, right?) with down time you could just read a chapter here and there during that.

Have a little faith in your ability to learn this stuff. Genetics is a huge part of biology, and it's only going to become more and more important in medicine as our understanding of it grows.

Remember that in college, your classes will be a bit more high-intensity than your high school courses. Genetics can be difficult to wrap your head around if you don't understand the nitty-gritty details, which are usually omitted from very basic biology courses (and why so many people can't figure out evolution).

Study it independently if you wish, but I have little doubt that your college courses will provide you with the information you need and the resources you need to learn it. Once it clicks for you, I think you'll find it a much easier subject to tame than you thought based on your high school experiences.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Maybe this sounds twisted, but I really enjoy reading textbooks. I love getting new knowledge and connecting it with different things. I'll probably just read a genetics textbook during the summer just to keep my mind from turning to ****.