Biology Lab Credit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

felixbyu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I graduated last year without any general bio labs. However, I took an anatomy lab (1 credit) instead. Most schools require "8 credits of biology with lab", and I have the following credits. Would I be ok?

3 credits of General Biology
2 credit of General PD Biology
3 credits of Anatomy
1 credit of Anatomy lab

Members don't see this ad.

By "8 credits of biology with lab" they mean two 4-credit biology classes and two 1-credit biology labs. I think schools would say you have zero bio lab credits.

Also, what's PD biology? Did you take a full year of biology? (i.e. bio 101 and 102) Any upper-level biology?

I concur, you would have needed to do a General Biology course and a lab, preferably co-currently.

Members don't see this ad :)
I attended two schools, and I'm not a life science major.. I didn't decide to study medicine until not long ago. I've submitted my application with U of Utah on my list because it doesn't require bio labs, and I'm in-state.

First school:
General Biology - (3) Biol 1010
Human Anatomy - (3) Biol 2320
Human Anatomy lab - (1) Biol 2325

Second school:
Physiology & Developmental Biology - (2) PD Biol 120 (Basically another general biology)

I attended two schools, and I'm not a life science major.. I didn't decide to study medicine until not long ago. I've submitted my application with U of Utah on my list because it doesn't require bio labs, and I'm in-state.

First school:
General Biology - (3) Biol 1010
Human Anatomy - (3) Biol 2320
Human Anatomy lab - (1) Biol 2325

Second school:
Physiology & Developmental Biology - (2) PD Biol 120 (Basically another general biology)

I guess that's another scenario. You could look for schools that don't require the GB labs. Or you could just take the labs...

Thanks.. I guess I'll call each school and ask for specific requirements on this. I took biochemistry so I am qualified for Utah at least.. but I may just take a lab class in the fall for next year.

U of Utah
Biology:
  • 2 courses - 1 course must be in cellular biology or biochemistry.

You aren't going to like this, but it looks like your biology requirement isn't complete. Unless PD Biology covered different material than the 1010 (i.e. it was the second part of a sequence) you're looking at having an incomplete biology lecture requirement as well as your lab requirement. You generally can't substitute A&P for general biology, and, for all intents and purposes, it looks like you might've just taken the same course twice...

Also, verify that PD Biology is what Biology majors take, and not a class for non-majors.

but the problem is.. my university doesn't have the standard two-semester gen biol like most colleges do..

We only have these 100's courses:
BIO 100 - Introductory course for general education students. (My first BIOL 1010 credit is accepted as BIO 100 at my 2nd school)
BIO 130 - General biology course with laboratory for biology majors.
BIO 165 - Introduction to basic concepts in bioinformatics. Standard bioinformatic applications.
BIO 175 - General biology lab for non-major
PD BIO 120 - General biology course designed for biological science majors.

I don't know anything about U of Utah and OOS applicants, but you may want to invest in an MSAR to make sure its worth applying there.

So, the GB course that you took included a lab then? In that case you would at least have one lab credit. To my knowledge, it doesnt have to be a seperate lab course, just General Biology lab credit. Even if you take a 4 credit GB course, they will usually include a seperate lab grade on your transcript to show that you have lab credit.

Your best bet may be to do that extra GB lab course and also call schools and see if you would have an exception since your school doesnt offer a two course GB sequence with lab or just take General Biology 1 and 2 with Lab at another university. I would call first though before wasting money, time and effort.

I already bought an MSAR and eliminated all schools that I don't qualify for.
My PDBio is a 2 credit class, but it includes 2 hours of lecture and 1 hour of lab weekly.

I guess I'll really have to call each of them and hopefully the admission offices would understand my situations...

but the problem is.. my university doesn't have the standard two-semester gen biol like most colleges do..

We only have these 100's courses:
BIO 100 - Introductory course for general education students. (My first BIOL 1010 credit is accepted as BIO 100 at my 2nd school)
BIO 130 - General biology course with laboratory for biology majors.
BIO 165 - Introduction to basic concepts in bioinformatics. Standard bioinformatic applications.
BIO 175 - General biology lab for non-major
PD BIO 120 - General biology course designed for biological science majors.

The bigger issue is that you took gen ed Bio...you'll have to verify with each school whether they'll accept that. I'd be surprised if many do...

I already bought an MSAR and eliminated all schools that I don't qualify for.
My PDBio is a 2 credit class, but it includes 2 hours of lecture and 1 hour of lab weekly.

I guess I'll really have to call each of them and hopefully the admission offices would understand my situations...

That sounds like a good place to start. I hope you have success.