Biology Prerequisite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Careful-Classroom

Reaction score
Filling out my secondary applications right now, and 3-4 of the schools I'm applying to specifically ask for 8 semester hours of "general biology". Given that I only have 4 credits from General Biology, despite having about a bajillion hours of genetics, microbio, biochem, environmental science, anatomy, and physiology, should I register for General Biology II this year to meet the prerequisites or should my other biology classes suffice?

Members don't see this ad.

Does your college only offer 1 semester of general biology or two?

Members don't see this ad :)
Filling out my secondary applications right now, and 3-4 of the schools I'm applying to specifically ask for 8 semester hours of "general biology". Given that I only have 4 credits from General Biology, despite having about a bajillion hours of genetics, microbio, biochem, environmental science, anatomy, and physiology, should I register for General Biology II this year to meet the prerequisites or should my other biology classes suffice?
Those other biology and upper division bio classes should be sufficient.

Reactions: 1 users
Those other biology and upper division bio classes should be sufficient.
Dont be so sure, it may require a wavier pre-matriculation. the LCME takes note of schools that offer excessive waviers of its approved admission requirements.

Dont be so sure, it may require a wavier pre-matriculation. the LCME takes note of schools that offer excessive waviers of its approved admission requirements.
Thanks @gonnif I didn’t realize that
The problem can be that admissions offices sometimes don’t respond to specific questions about curriculum until later in the cycle.
A politely worded email with prerequisite curriculum question in the subject line might get your question routed to the right person.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks @gonnif I didn’t realize that
The problem can be that admissions offices sometimes don’t respond to specific questions about curriculum until later in the cycle.
A politely worded email with prerequisite curriculum question in the subject line might get your question routed to the right person.
I have sent polite emails with that subject line to the relevant schools. I'll post again when I have answers. Thank you both for your help!

That's where your relationship with academic and prehealth advisors becomes important. Admissions offices will defer to what the prehealth office lists are prerequisites, and we are not fans of giving waivers without documentation from the university. (For example 1 semester of "turbo intro chem" that accommodates applicants with AP Chem credit but doesn't let freshmen take organic chem).

In fact, many more schools offer a three semester intro biology sequence. The prehealth offices note which two courts towards addressing prerequisite/MCAT content.

Academic advising is there to help you plan your schedule accordingly, especially if you have a cap on hours from your scholarship. You should also have a degree audit process that you need to follow.

Update: Medical College of Georgia, VCU, Rochester, and Mercer are all ok with substituting upper-level classes. It appears that I am all set.

Reactions: 3 users
Excellent! Did you get that in writing?

I asked them all for it in writing. MCG is the only one that hasn't given that to me yet but they told me they would when they get through their stack of emails to the one I sent them yesterday.

I asked them all for it in writing. MCG is the only one that hasn't given that to me yet but they told me they would when they get through their stack of emails to the one I sent them yesterday.
Thanks! Keep encouraging them to post it on their WEBSITES. :) Advisors use them to guide students.

Thanks! Keep encouraging them to post it on their WEBSITES. :) Advisors use them to guide students.

I’m glad there’s good advisors like you out there. My “pre-med advisor” couldn’t guide a bullet to the broad side of a barn from the inside😂