Biology specialization

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LGOPpro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would be the best biology specialization for optometry school. Should I say, what would be most applicable to the optometry profession. A BS in microbiology? cell and molecular? or neurobiology?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have to specialize, I'd do it in neuro, but it really doesn't matter.

Just curious to know...are you planning on doing just an OD? or are you looking into possibly research or a MS/PhD also?

Also are you asking because you want to get "ahead" or be most prepared for optometry school?

Members don't see this ad :)
as I am interested in the research portion and the phD side of it. I for now am just planning on OD. My question is in reference to being most prepared I suppose. I understand it is not all that relevant, I'm just looking for some input.

Well they'll all prepare you fine, but you'll just be more well versed in certain areas depending on your focus. Neuro is the most related to vision, perception, and signal transduction. Micro is important, but once you get through the intro micro course(s), you'll be going into A LOT of detail about things that will not pertain to optometry at all. Cell & molecular is like micro in the sense that the further you get into it, the less it has to do with overall optometry concepts.

IMHO, with neuro, the more in depth of an understanding you have, the better off you'll be. Obviously, you'll still want to have a baseline understanding of micro and cell & molecular, but more than one course of each wouldn't be necessary.

I thought biochemistry was an invaluable major, and I for one really loved studying chemistry more in depth as well as genetics and enzymology. I barely had to study for the OAT and it gave me a huge leg up on my biochem series in optometry school.

It was considered one of the more intense majors at my undergrad, but I honestly felt it was just challenging enough (nothing too intense; my first year was my toughest), and p-chem actually wasn't that bad.