This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fdsa2495

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, so I'm confused if this would seem odd on the AMCAS or to any medical school.

I am currently a 3rd year human biology major but all my research experience includes using excel, gene pattern, heat map generators, R studio, and mainly collecting data from TCGA (The Cancer Genome Atlas) etc. I've always had an interest in researching on Cancer but not this way. I've been researching as a undergrad for about 2 years now and I enjoy it. Possibly have a paper in before I apply next year. But does this seem odd that my research experience doesn't include typical "biology lab stuff" like microscopes, pipetting, cell cultures etc.

Should I look into the wet lab section because the lab I research with does have a wet lab section too. Or would this actually diversify and make my application more interesting? I did take a graduate-level quantitative biology course to further improve my skills in computational research. :thinking:

Members don't see this ad.

Genomic analytical techniques are on the rise in biomedical research these days. Having wet lab skills is fine but having the computational know-how won't be looked down upon.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
CompBio research is only going to increase in the coming years. As @eteshoe said, it certainly won't be looked down upon. If you have an interest in the wet lab research I would consider taking that up as well. The combo of comp and wetlab research would give you a great research background.

Reactions: 1 users
if anything, this helps ur application stand out a bit more. and in a very good way.

most premed apps are from bio ppl with hypersensitivity to anything quant/math/physics related. this gives u a whole bunch of talking points during ur interview.

so in conclusion, no need to do extra work in the traditional bio lab sense (microscope etc etc) unless u want to. nothing odd about ur work here

Reactions: 1 user