Bion's Containing Theory question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbTOFU

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, I'm new here 1st post. Sorry in advance for my somewhat broken English.

I'm making a presentation on 'Containing' and have to relate to Wilfred Bion's contained/container concept.
The natural association is that it refers to patient/analyst, infant/mother suggesting that the analyst containing the patient, simple as that. Reading some Ogden's article (2004) regarding Winnicott's holding concept and Bion's containing theotry, I understand the natural assumption is not entirely accurate.

I'd appreciate any help and insight to understand this concept better.

What I have learned (hopefully right) from Ogden's piece;
Container ~ is not an object but rather the process of dreaming (both awake and in sleep) about the Contained content, which are the Thoughts and feelings deprived from lived emotional experiences.
In other words, the container is not the analyst but rather the analyst's process of psychological work on the contained content (through projective identification) which in other words called Reverie , is that correct ?

When I say container is not the analyst as an object but the process of Reverie. I would like to know if it is correct that the Container could also be the process in which the Patient is capable of dreaming about the contents and thus kinda be the container of his contained thoughts and feelings ?
Honestly, this seems quite incorrect.

Ogden's Paper; http://www.bacp.co.uk/bacpDocs/docs/12.pdf

HELP ! :)

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

In fact, with further reading I see how Ogden refers to the dynamic change of the Container/Contained relationship in the analytic setting.

In example, he mentioned a situation where the patient says something meaningless to the analyst's intervention, where the intervention is the contained.

So in the situation analyst says something ~ it's the contained and patient's processing that information is the Containing process, i.e the container ?

I'm confused

Status
Not open for further replies.